Apr 15, 2014 Total Lunar Eclipse
What this lunar eclipse looks like
The animation shows approximately what the eclipse looks like from the night side of earth.
BETA: This is a temporary animation, it would look different in real life. We hope to fix that issue soon.
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least some parts of the eclipse:
- West in Asia
- East in North America
- Parts of South America
Total eclipse visible in:
Locations near the shadow's path:
- Tarawa, Kiribati
- Christchurch, New Zealand
- Majuro, Marshall Islands
- Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
- Anadyr, Russia
- Palikir, Ponape, Micronesia
- Suva, Fiji
- Unalaska, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Honiara, Solomon Islands
- Midway, Midway Atoll, U.S.A.
- Port Vila, Vanuatu
- Wake Island, Wake Island, U.S.A.
- Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
- Hobart, Tasmania, Australia
- Yaren, Nauru
- Noumea, New Caledonia, France
- Funafuti, Tuvalu
- Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Cairns, Queensland, Australia
Partial eclipse visible in:
- Saipan, Northern Mariana Islands
- Guam (Hagåtña), Guam
- Jayapura, Papua, Indonesia
- Alice Springs, Northern Territory, Australia
- Uluru, Northern Territory, Australia
- Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
- Manokwari, West Papua, Indonesia
- Koror, Palau
- Melekeok, Palau
- Eucla, Western Australia, Australia
- Sendai, Japan
- Magadan, Russia
- Kawasaki, Japan
- Yokohama, Japan
- Tokyo, Japan
- Utsunomiya, Japan
- Sagamihara, Japan
- Sapporo, Japan
- Shizuoka, Japan
- Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Russia
When the eclipse happens worldwideLunar eclipses look approximately the same all over the world and happen at the same time.
The times displayed might be a minute or two off actual times.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Washington DC*||Visible in Washington DC|
|Penumbral Eclipse begins||Apr 15 at 4:55 AM||Apr 15 at 12:55 AM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse begins||Apr 15 at 5:59 AM||Apr 15 at 1:59 AM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse begins||Apr 15 at 7:08 AM||Apr 15 at 3:08 AM||Yes|
|Maximum Eclipse||Apr 15 at 7:46 AM||Apr 15 at 3:46 AM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse ends||Apr 15 at 8:23 AM||Apr 15 at 4:23 AM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse ends||Apr 15 at 9:32 AM||Apr 15 at 5:32 AM||Yes|
|Penumbral Eclipse ends||Apr 15 at 10:36 AM||Apr 15 at 6:36 AM||No, under horizon|
* The Moon is under the horizon in Washington DC some of the time, so that part of the eclipse is not visible.