Jul 5, 2020 Penumbral Lunar Eclipse
What this lunar eclipse looks like
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least some parts of the eclipse:
- South/West Europe
- Much of Africa
- South/West North America
- Much of South America
- Indian Ocean
Partial eclipse visible in:
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
- Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.
- Washington DC, District of Columbia, U.S.A.
- Guatemala, Guatemala
- Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
- Havana, Cuba
- Mexico City, Federal District, Mexico
- Johannesburg, South Africa
- Algiers, Algeria
- Lagos, Nigeria
- Casablanca, Morocco
- Lima, Lima, Peru
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Lisbon, Portugal
- New York, New York, U.S.A.
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Madrid, Spain
- Caracas, Venezuela
When the eclipse happens worldwideLunar eclipses look approximately the same all over the world and happen at the same time.
The times displayed might be a minute or two off actual times.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Seattle*||Visible in Seattle|
|Penumbral Eclipse begins||Jul 5 at 3:11 AM||Jul 4 at 8:11 PM||No, below horizon|
|Maximum Eclipse||Jul 5 at 4:30 AM||Jul 4 at 9:30 PM||Yes|
|Penumbral Eclipse ends||Jul 5 at 5:50 AM||Jul 4 at 10:50 PM||Yes|
* The Moon is below the horizon in Seattle some of the time, so that part of the eclipse is not visible.