Employee Appreciation Day in the United States
Bosses across the United States have the chance to support, thank and reward workers on Employee Appreciation Day on the first Friday in March.
Appreciate your staff
Employee Appreciation Day is a non-official day and there's no real authority on what needs to be done, but if you're a boss and want to show your team just how much you appreciate them, you could try out some of these ideas:
- Treat your staff to breakfast, lunch or snacks.
- Host an office party or an after-work get-together for your staff.
- Give workers some of the day off.
- Organize an outdoor team building exercise, like a tug-of-war or an fun office quiz.
- Take fun pictures and post them on the company social media pages to show the world just how much you care!
What’s Open or Closed?Businesses carry on as usual on Employee Appreciation Day. It is an observance in the US, but not a public holiday.
Good people are hard to find
Known in the US as the "Guru of Thank You", Dr. Bob Nelson, a founding member of the Recognition Professionals International (RPI) (previously NAER- National Association for Employee Recognition), had the honor of kick starting the first Employee Appreciation Day in 1995.
Training new staff is costly, and employers use all manners of techniques to boost worker morale and help retain employees and their valuable expertise. Employee Recognition is a large industry in its own right, and there are university studies dedicated to organizational behavior all over the world.
Employee Appreciation Day Observances
|Weekday||Date||Year||Name||Holiday Type||Where It is Observed|
|Fri||Mar 5||2010||Employee Appreciation Day||Observance|
|Fri||Mar 4||2011||Employee Appreciation Day||Observance|
|Fri||Mar 2||2012||Employee Appreciation Day||Observance|
|Fri||Mar 1||2013||Employee Appreciation Day||Observance|
|Fri||Mar 7||2014||Employee Appreciation Day||Observance|
|Fri||Mar 6||2015||Employee Appreciation Day||Observance|
|Fri||Mar 4||2016||Employee Appreciation Day||Observance|
|Fri||Mar 3||2017||Employee Appreciation Day||Observance|
|Fri||Mar 2||2018||Employee Appreciation Day||Observance|
|Fri||Mar 1||2019||Employee Appreciation Day||Observance|
|Fri||Mar 6||2020||Employee Appreciation Day||Observance|
Quick FactsEmployee Appreciation Day is a US unofficial observance that recognizes and appreciates employees in all industries, aimed at helping employers keep their staff.
Employee Appreciation Day 2016Friday, March 4, 2016
Employee Appreciation Day 2017Friday, March 3, 2017
Name in other languages
|Employee Appreciation Day||English|
|Dia de apreciación del trabajador||Spanish|
|יום הוקרה לעובדים||Hebrew|
|اليوم تقدير الموظف||Arabic|
|직원 감사의 날||Korean|
|Tag der Anerkennung von Angestellten||German|
- Administrative Professionals Day – Wednesday, April 27, 2016
- Labor Day – Monday, September 5, 2016
- Boss's Day – Monday, October 17, 2016
Other holidays in March 2017 in the United States
- Ash Wednesday – Wednesday, March 1, 2017
- Texas Independence Day – Thursday, March 2, 2017
- Casimir Pulaski Day – Monday, March 6, 2017
- Town Meeting Day Vermont – Tuesday, March 7, 2017
- Purim – Sunday, March 12, 2017
- St. Patrick's Day – Friday, March 17, 2017
- Maryland Day – Saturday, March 25, 2017
- Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalanianaole Day – Sunday, March 26, 2017
- Prince Jonah Kuhio Kalanianaole Day – Monday, March 27, 2017
- César Chávez Day – Friday, March 31, 2017