Muharram in United States
Quick FactsThe first day of Muharram, which is the first month in the Islamic calendar, marks the start of the Islamic New Year.
|무 하 람||Korean|
Muharram 2013Tuesday, November 5, 2013
Muharram 2014Saturday, October 25, 2014
Note: Regional customs or moon sightings may cause a variation of the date for Islamic holidays, which begin at sundown the day before the date specified for the holiday. The Islamic calendar is lunar and the days begin at sunset, so there may be one-day error depending on when the New Moon is first seen.
List of dates for other years
Many Muslims in countries such as the United States observe the start of the Islamic New Year on the first day of Muharram, which is the first month in the Islamic calendar.
What do people do?
Some Islamic organizations in the United States post announcements reminding people of the first day of Muharram prior to the event. Muharram is one of the four sanctified months in the Islamic calendar. Some Muslim Americans choose to fast during this month, although fasting is not obligatory. Many Muslims engage in voluntary prayer, including evening prayer, during Muharram.
The Day of Ashura (or Ashurah) is known as the most sacred day in the month of Muharram. It is the 10th day of Muharram and is a day of fasting for many Sunni Muslims. Many Shi’a Muslims use the day to commemorate the martyrdom of Husayn ibn Ali in 680 CE. Some Muslims give to charity on this day.
The first day of Muharram is an Islamic observance and is not a federal public holiday in the United States.
Muharram is the first month in the Islamic year and a time of mourning and peace. It is forbidden for Muslims to fight during this month. A number of important events in Islamic history have occurred during this month. These include:
- The Battle of Karbala (currently in Iraq) in the year 680 CE, which enabled Husayn ibn Ali, a grandson of the Prophet Muhammed, and his army to enter the city on the first day of the month.
- The restriction of Husayn ibn Ali's access to water on the seventh day.
- The death of Husayn ibn Ali and his clan (Ahl al-Bayt) on the 10th day of the month.
The Shi'a and Sunni denominations of Islam attach different weights to these events and mark them in different ways.
About Muharram in other countriesRead more about Muharram.
Muharram ObservancesNote: Regional customs or moon sightings may cause a variation of the date for Islamic holidays, which begin at sundown the day before the date specified for the holiday. The Islamic calendar is lunar and the days begin at sunset, so there may be one-day error depending on when the New Moon is first seen.
|Weekday||Date||Year||Name||Holiday type||Where it is observed|
Other holidays in November 2013 in United States
- All Saints' Day ―Friday, November 1, 2013
- All Souls' Day ―Saturday, November 2, 2013
- Diwali/Deepavali ―Sunday, November 3, 2013
- Daylight Saving Time ends ―Sunday, November 3, 2013
- International Day for Preventing the Exploitation of the Environment in War and Armed Conflict ―Wednesday, November 6, 2013
- World Science Day for Peace and Development ―Sunday, November 10, 2013
- Veterans Day ―Monday, November 11, 2013
- World Pneumonia Day ―Tuesday, November 12, 2013
- World Diabetes Day ―Thursday, November 14, 2013
- International Day for Tolerance ―Saturday, November 16, 2013
- World Day of Remembrance for Road Traffic Victims ―Sunday, November 17, 2013
- World Toilet Day ―Tuesday, November 19, 2013
- International Men's Day ―Tuesday, November 19, 2013
- Universal Children's Day ―Wednesday, November 20, 2013
- World Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease Day ―Wednesday, November 20, 2013
- Africa Industrialization Day ―Wednesday, November 20, 2013
- World Television Day ―Thursday, November 21, 2013
- World Philosophy Day ―Thursday, November 21, 2013
- International Day for the Elimination of Violence against Women ―Monday, November 25, 2013
- Thanksgiving Day ―Thursday, November 28, 2013
- Chanukah/Hanukkah (first day) ―Thursday, November 28, 2013
- Presidents' Day ―Friday, November 29, 2013
- Black Friday ―Friday, November 29, 2013
- International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People ―Friday, November 29, 2013
- Robert E Lee's Birthday ―Friday, November 29, 2013
- Lincoln's Birthday ―Friday, November 29, 2013
- American Indian Heritage Day ―Friday, November 29, 2013
- Perpetual yearly calendar - make yearly calendar for any year
- Perpetual monthly calendar - shows only one month at a time
- Custom calendar - make customized calendars