Australia and New Zealand start the 2013—2014 DST period
Australia and New Zealand are about to begin this year's daylight saving time (DST) period. In New Zealand, DST will come into force on Sunday, September 29, 2013. Clocks in Australia will be advanced by 1 hour on Sunday, October 6, 2013.
DST begins in Australia
On October 6, 2013, the following areas of Australia will turn their clocks ahead 1 hour from 2 a.m. (02:00) to 3 a.m. (03:00) local time:
- Australian Capital Territory (e.g. Canberra)
- New South Wales (e.g. Sydney)
- South Australia (e.g. Adelaide)
- Tasmania (e.g. Hobart)
- Victoria (e.g. Melbourne)
- Lord Howe Island – clocks move 30 minutes forward (instead of 1 hour).
As in past years, daylight saving time will not come into force in the following areas:
Australia consists of several time zones. The specified DST switch times refer to the local time in each time zone. This means, for example, that the switch occurs half an hour later in Adelaide (Australian Central Standard Time, UTC+9:30 hours) than in Sydney (Australian Eastern Standard Time, UTC+10 hours).
DST begins in New Zealand
Daylight saving time in mainland New Zealand will begin on September 29, 2013, when clocks will spring forward from 2 a.m. (02:00) to 3 a.m. (03:00) local time. This includes the following locations:
The Chatham Islands, which constitute the only land mass covered by New Zealand's second time zone, will begin observing DST at 2:45 a.m. (02:45) local time. Clocks there will also be advanced by 1 hour, to 3:45 a.m. (03:45).
When will DST end again?
The Daylight Saving Time schedule in Australia runs from the first Sunday in October to the first Sunday in April each year. In New Zealand, DST is observed from the last Sunday in September to the first Sunday in April.
- March 30, 2014: Europe starts Daylight Saving Time
- Sunday, March 9, 2014: DST starts in USA and Canada
- Chile Extends DST to April 27, 2014
- Turkey delays DST start by one day
- Brazil ends DST on February 16, 2014
- Will Russia revert to “winter time” in 2014?
More about Daylight Saving Time
- Time Zone News
- Daylight Saving Time
- List of countries that observe Daylight Saving Time in 2014
- Time Zone Abbreviations