Paraguay May Extend Daylight Saving Time
Published 4-Feb-2010. Changed 5-Feb-2010
Paraguay’s national electricity body is pushing for an extra month of daylight saving time (DST) to combat the country’s energy shortage and high electricity consumption.
The National Electricity Administration (ANDE) has called for DST to be extended to April 2010 as part of a plan to boost energy efficiency across Paraguay. DST is scheduled to end on Sunday, March 14, 2010, according to the country’s current daylight saving arrangement.
Energy Crisis on Hand
ANDE is calling for the federal government to extend DST across Paraguay until April, 2010, as a way to alleviate the energy shortfall. ANDE also announced on Wednesday, February 2, 2010, that there would be cuts scheduled over the next two months, weeks after it was declared that there was an energy problem.
ANDE also admitted that in addition to the energy shortfall and high consumer demand for energy, the organization was in a state of emergency under which the capacities of its transmission lines and system power transformers were outdated.
Various news sources reported that the power system’s collapse recently became evident in some parts of Paraguay, and that power was disconnected in some homes. There have reportedly been cuts in neighborhoods where homes have air-conditioning and issues related to water supply. It is also said that energy consumption in Paraguay had hit its peak.
Paraguay’s DST, which started on Sunday, October 18, 2009, is scheduled to end on Sunday, March 14, 2010. Its DST schedule runs from the third Sunday of October until the second Sunday of March.
timeanddate.com will provide more details about the proposed extended DST schedule as more information becomes readily available.
- Libya remains on Daylight Saving Time
- USA & Canada end DST on Sunday, November 3, 2013
- Brazil: Acre and parts of Amazonas switch time zones
- Spain ponders switching time zones
- Morocco extends DST to October 27, 2013
- Jordan remains on DST for a second year
More about Daylight Saving Time
- Daylight Saving Time
- List of countries that observe Daylight Saving Time in 2013
- Upcoming Daylight Saving Time Clock Changes
- Daylight Savings Time vs Daylight Saving Time
- Spring Forward, Fall Back and Similar Expressions