Time ran out for UK time bill
Time ran out for the proposed UK legislation which would have introduced an in-depth study and a three-year trial to move the clocks in Great Britain one hour from Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) and British Summer Time (BST) forward to Central European Time (CET) and Central European Summer Time (CEST).
Supporters of the DST Bill claimed would it have saved lives on the roads as the winter evenings would have been lighter, as well as boost tourism.
Despite receiving support from the Government, the bill was faced with opposition from representatives believing an extra hour of darkness in the morning would cause problems, especially in the north of the country.
Blocked by a few MPs
After several voting rounds in the Commons, the Daylight Saving Bill failed to make progress. While the large majority was in favor of the bill, a handful of opponents managed to block it. The bill is now effectively dead, as there is no time for it to return to the Commons in this Parliamentary session.
- Jordan will end DST after all
- Libya remains on Daylight Saving Time
- USA & Canada end DST on Sunday, November 3, 2013
- Brazil: Acre and parts of Amazonas switch time zones
- Spain ponders switching time zones
- Morocco extends DST to October 27, 2013
More about Daylight Saving Time
- Daylight Saving Time
- List of countries that observe Daylight Saving Time in 2013
- Upcoming Daylight Saving Time Clock Changes
- Daylight Savings Time vs Daylight Saving Time