How to use the timeanddate.com World Clock App for Windows 8
Get the free World Clock App for Windows 8 to find out the precise local time, time zone and offset from Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), Daylight Saving Time (DST) dates, sunrise and sunset times, and country flag information for thousands of cities around the world.
- BasicsClick the plus sign to add more cities.
Tip: You can also add cities by simply typing the city name.This is you list of cities in a compact view, click on them to show expanded details about it to the right.
Tip: You can select them to show actions, such as moving / deleting / renaming, by r.clicking (touch: swipe to the left) the city.
- Selecting a City
- App Bar (Live Tile / Fullscreen / Sync)Press to go into fullscreen mode, showing the current clock in a large display:Premium Feature
Press this to add a Live Tile to your start menu:Press this to re-sync the time.Press this to show the upgrade box, upgrading will remove the adverts, and enable premium feartures.R.click on some empty space to bring up the App Bar (Touch: swipe down from top of the screen)
- SettingsSet this to set clocks to show either 24H or AM/PM.Set this to toggle the display of seconds on the clocks list.Set this to toggle the display of seconds main clock, and the fullscreen clock.Premium
Set this to toggle the display of daylight on the clock list (indicated by the light and dark blue on the list).
- Time Adjustment (Premium Feature)Premium Feature
The colors indicate how suitable in the time of day would a call currently be:
Normal Working Hours
Out of Working Hours
- What does the app show?
- Adding and removing cities from the compact list
- Using the “More services” menu
- Opening the local time in fullscreen
- “Snap to side”
What does the app show?
The compact view
On the left-hand side, the app provides a compact view of cities with current time, date, and national flag. The list is scrollable. Four cities are shown by default.
Click or tap on one of the cities to view more detailed information about it. The selected city will be marked with an arrow, the city's name will be displayed at the top of the screen, and the current time in the selected location will be displayed in large font in the center of the screen.
The detailed view
More information about the selected city can be found underneath the large time display, including:
- Offset: Time difference between Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) and the local time in the selected location.
- Time Zone: An abbreviated version on the Time Zone currently observed there.
- DST Start / End: Local date and time of the next switches between Standard Time and Daylight Saving Time (DST). The time difference is displayed in brackets (e.g. “+1 Hr” or “-1 Hr”). If the selected location does not observe DST, the app displays “None”.
- Sunrise / Sunset: Today's local times for sunrise and sunset in the selected city.
Adding and removing cities from the compact list
To add a city to the compact view on the left-hand side click or tap on the plus (+) symbol in the top-left corner of the screen, type in a city name in the search field, and select a location in the search results. It is also possible to add a new city by:
- opening the App Bar and clicking or tapping on “Add”;
- opening the Charms Bar and clicking or tapping on “Search”.
To remove a city from the list, swipe across or right-click on the city. Then click or tap on “Delete”.
Using the “More services” menu
Click or tap on one of the blue boxes in the menu entitled “More services” to use one of the handy tools on timeanddate.com. The selected city will be entered as default location where applicable.
- Create Meeting - links to the timeanddate.com World Clock Meeting Planner: Find out the best meeting times between the selected city and other locations.
- Create Calendar - links to the timeanddate.com Calendar Generator: Set up a calendar showing holidays and observances in many countries worldwide.
- Check weather - links to the timeanddate.com Weather Report: See the current weather and detailed weather forecast for the selected city.
- Find Dialing Codes - links to the timeanddate.com Dialing Code Calculator: Find out which telephone codes to dial when calling someone in the selected location.
- Event Announcer - links to the timeanddate.com Event Time Announcer: Convert the local time in the selected locations to local times worldwide.
- Create Countdown - links to the timeanddate.com Countdown Generator: Set up a countdown using the local time in the selected location.
- See Moon Phase - links to the timeanddate.com Moon Phase Calculator: Find out the precise times for moon phases in the selected city.
- More City Info - links to the City Page timeanddate.com: Find out more about the selected location.
Opening the local time in fullscreen
To view a fullscreen version of the current local time in the selected location, open the App Bar and click or tap on “Fullscreen”. To leave the fullscreen view, click or tap on the left-arrow button next to the city name.
“Snap to side”
Use the Snap to side option to confine the list of cities to the left edge of the screen and free up the rest for other uses. Simply drag/swipe from the top of the screen all the way to the left edge. To return to the standard view, drag the right edge of the reduced window across the screen.
- iPhone Apps from timeanddate.com
- Countdown Timer Pro for iPhone
- World Clock - Time Zones iPhone App
- The Meeting Planner by timeanddate.com iPhone App
- The Day and Night World Map HD iPad App