Make a Projector to Safely See a Solar Eclipse
Next Total Solar Eclipse: Mon, Aug 21, 2017 … See animation
One of the easiest ways to safely watch a solar eclipse is to use 2 sheets of cardboard and make your own simple pinhole projector.
Project the Sun
Never look directly at the Sun without proper eye protection. You can seriously hurt your eyes and even go blind.
DIY: Simple Card Projector
The simplest and quickest way to safely project the Sun is with a projector made from only 2 pieces of card or paper.
- 2 pieces of stiff white cardboard, e.g. 2 paper plates
- alternatively, 2 sheets of plain white paper
- a thumbtack, a sharp pin, or a needle
What to Do:
- To make a quick version of the pinhole projector, take a sheet of paper and make a tiny hole in the middle of it using a pin or a thumbtack. Make sure that the hole is round and smooth.
- With your back towards the Sun, hold 1 piece of paper above your shoulder allowing the Sun to shine on the paper.
- The 2nd sheet of paper will act as a screen. Hold it at a distance, and you will see an inverted image of the Sun projected on the paper screen through the pinhole.
- To make the image of the Sun larger, hold the screen paper further away from the paper with the pinhole.
A box projector works on the same principles, it requires a little more time and a few extra items to construct, but it is more sturdy.
- Never look at the Sun directly without protective eye gear. Even sunglasses cannot protect your eyes from the damage the Sun's rays can do to them.
- Always keep your back towards the Sun while looking at a pinhole projection.
- Do not look at the Sun through the pinhole.
Next Total Solar Eclipse4Days 17Hrs 37Mins 26Secs
Aug 21, 2017 at 15:46 UTC … See more
- When Is the Next Solar Eclipse?
- Different Types of Eclipses
- What Are Solar Eclipses?
- How Often Do Solar Eclipses Occur?
- Total Solar Eclipses
- Partial Solar Eclipses
- Annular Solar Eclipses
- Hybrid Solar Eclipses
- Solar Eclipses in History
- Solar Eclipse Myths
- Magnitude of Eclipses
Protect Your Eyes
- Never Look Directly at the Sun
- Simple Pinhole Projector
- Eclipse Projector in a Box
- Binoculars / Telescope Projector