Sunday, October 21, 2012: Brazilians start Daylight Saving Time
Several Brazilian states, including Tocantins, will set their clocks forward 1 hour at midnight on Sunday, October 21, 2012 as Daylight Saving Time (DST) starts.
People in the state of Tocantins will set their clocks 1 hour forward – from 00:00 to 01:00 local time – along with people in southern, southeastern, and midwestern Brazilian states. This is the first time in 9 years that Tocantins will be observing DST.
Bahia not to observe DST
Bahia reinstated DST in 2011 after abolishing it in 2003. But fearing violence, the governor of Bahia withdrew his state’s name from the list and people in Bahia will not be moving their clocks forward in 2012.
States with DST
- Sao Paulo, São Paulo
- Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro
- Brasilia, Distrito Federal
- Criciúma, Santa Catarina,
- Curitiba, Paraná
- Goiânia, Goiás
- Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul
- Campo Grande, Mato Grosso Do Sul
Daylight Saving Time is controversial in Brazil. Critics of DST argue that not only do changes in the clock negatively affect the human body, but also have an adverse impact on businesses.
Supporters of DST, on the other hand, suggest that observing the time change will reduce energy costs. It is estimated that DST will save the Brazilian government 280 million Reals (137 million USD) in 2012-2013, despite the non-participation of Bahia.
DST ends in Brazil in February 2013
DST in Brazil will end at midnight on Sunday, February 17, 2013 when people in the states observing DST will move their clocks backward by 1 hour.
Update: Some news sources are reporting that following opposition by businesses, the governor of Tocantins is considering withdrawing the state’s name from the list. The change has not been confirmed yet. timeanddate.com is following this news story closely, and will update the DST information about Brazil as soon as a decision is announced.
- Morocco's 2013 Daylight Saving Time Schedule
- New Technology makes Time Travel possible
- Middle East DST Roundup - Syria and Lebanon announce Switch Dates
- West Bank and Gaza start Daylight Saving Time on March 29, 2013
- Haiti starts DST, will follow U.S. schedule in future
- Paraguay’s Daylight Saving Moved to March 24, 2013
More about Daylight Saving Time
- Daylight Saving Time
- List of countries that observe Daylight Saving Time in 2013
- Upcoming Daylight Saving Time Clock Changes
- Daylight Savings Time vs Daylight Saving Time