Fiji’s Daylight Saving Ends Early in 2010
Fiji’s daylight saving time (DST) will end nearly one month earlier than originally planned. Fiji’s government recently announced the news after Cabinet decided that DST would end at 3am (03:00) local time on Sunday, March 28, 2010. The clocks will move one hour back to 2am (02:00) local time on that day.
In 2009, the Fiji government planned for country’ DST schedule to end at 3am (03:00) local time on Sunday, April 25, 2010. However, due to growing complaints across the nation, as well as a recent submission, the schedule will come to an end on March 28, 2010. March 28 is also when DST starts in most of Europe in 2010.
Fiji’s Cabinet has agreed that daylight saving time in Fiji would end at 3am (03:00) local time on Sunday March 28, 2010. Cabinet based its decision on a submission by the Minister for Education, National Heritage, Culture and Arts, Youth and Sports, Labour, Industrial Relations and Employment, Filipe Bole.
DST was reintroduced in Fiji on Sunday, November 29, 2009, which saw the clocks move forward at 2am (02:00) local time. Fiji moved from being 12 hours ahead of Coordinated Universal Time (UTC), or UTC+12, to being on UTC+13 during the daylight saving schedule. It will move back to UTC+12 when DST ends on March 28.
Complaints Against DST
Various organizations, community groups, and individuals in Fiji called for the removal of daylight saving time in early 2010. Moreover, school times were amended as part of a bid to reduce risk to students. School starting hours moved from 8am (08:00) to 9am (09:00) as part of the Ministry of Education’s response to concerns that children were travelling to school in the dark in some areas because of DST.
Will DST Continue in Fiji?
DST will return to Fiji on October 24, 2010, and will continue until March 2011, according to a government (Cabinet) media release. timeanddate.com will provide more information as it becomes available.
- Jordan will end DST after all
- Libya remains on Daylight Saving Time
- USA & Canada end DST on Sunday, November 3, 2013
- Brazil: Acre and parts of Amazonas switch time zones
- Spain ponders switching time zones
- Morocco extends DST to October 27, 2013
More about Daylight Saving Time
- Daylight Saving Time
- List of countries that observe Daylight Saving Time in 2013
- Upcoming Daylight Saving Time Clock Changes
- Daylight Savings Time vs Daylight Saving Time
- Spring Forward, Fall Back and Similar Expressions
- The World Clock – Current time all over the world
- Personal World Clock
- Meeting Planner
- Time Zone Converter
- Event Time Announcer/Fixed Time – Show local times worldwide for your event.