2014 Eta Aquarids meteor shower
In 2014, the Eta Aquarids are expected to peak on May 6. The waxing crescent Moon will create ideal conditions for viewing the shower.
The Eta Aquarids meteor shower are usually active between April 19 and May 28 every year. It tends to peak around May 6 or May 7.
The Eta Aquarids seem to radiate from the direction of the constellation Aquarius in the sky. The shower is named after the brightest star of the constellation, Eta Aquarii.
The Eta Aquarids is one of the two meteor showers associated with Halley’s Comet. The Earth passes for a second time through Halley's path around the Sun in October. This creates the Orionid meteor shower, which peaks around October 20.
Where to view
Observers anywhere in the world can view the Eta Aquarids meteor shower.
When to view
The best time to view the Eta Aquarids is in the early mornings, right before dawn.
How to view
There isn’t a lot of skill involved in watching a meteor shower. Here are some tips on how to maximize your time looking for the Eta Aquarids:
- Get out of the city to a place where city and artificial lights do not impede your viewing
- If you are out viewing the shower during its peak, you will not need any special equipment. You should be able to see the shower with your naked eyes.
- Carry a blanket or a comfortable chair with you - viewing meteors, just like any other kind of star gazing is a waiting game, and you need to be comfortable. Plus, you may not want to leave until you can’t see the majestic celestial fireworks anymore.
- Check the weather and moonrise and moonset timings for your location before you leave, and plan your viewing around it.
Location in the skyThe Eta Aquarids meteor shower is not visible at this time of year. The best date is around May 5, 2014, table below is for that date:
|Eta Aquarids meteor shower for Washington DC|
|Tue 3:00 AM||95°||5.2°|
|Tue 4:00 AM||105°||16.6°|
|Tue 5:00 AM||116°||27.5°|
Set your location
- Seasons Calculator
- Moon Calculator – Find times for moonrise, moonset and more
- Moon Phase Calculator – Calculate moon phases for any year
- Sunrise Calculator – Find times for sunrise, sunset and more
- Upcoming Eclipses in your area