When do Leap Day Babies Celebrate Their Birthdays?
How do “leaplings”, people born on Leap Day, celebrate their birthdays? And what is the world record for the number of children born in the same family on February 29?
However, many countries have laws defining which date a person born on February 29 comes of age in legal terms. For instance in New Zealand, the official birthday falls on February 28 in common years; in other countries like the United Kingdom, leap year babies have to wait until March 1.
Leap Year World Records
According to the Guinness Book of Records, the only verified example of a family producing three consecutive generations born on February 29 is that of the Keogh family. Peter Anthony was born on a Leap Day in 1940, while his son, Peter Eric, was born on February 29, 1964. Peter Eric's daughter, Bethany Wealth, was also a Leap Day baby, born on February 29, 1996.
The Henriksen family from Andenes, Norway currently holds the official record for the most number of children born in one family on leap day. Karin Henriksen gave birth to three children on February 29; her daughter Heidi in 1960 and her sons Olav and Leif-Martin in 1964 and 1968.
Celebrity Leap Day Birthdays
- 1468 – Pope Paul III (d. 1549)
- 1792 – Gioacchino Rossini, Italian composer (William Tell, The Barber of Seville) (d. 1868)
- 1896 – Morarji Desai, former Indian prime minister (d. 1995)
- 1968 – Wendi Louise Peters, English television and theatre character actress
- 1916 – Dinah Shore, American singer (d. 1994)
- 1924 – Al Rosen, American baseball player
- 1924 – Carlos Humberto Romero, former president of El Salvador
- 1960 – Anthony (Tony) Robbins, American motivational speaker
- 1964 – Lyndon Byers, Canadian hockey player
- 1972 – Saul Stacey Williams, American singer, musician, poet, writer, and actor
- 1972 – Antonio Sabàto Jr, Italian-born actor
- 1976 – Ja Rule (real name Jeffrey Atkins), American rapper and actor
- 1980 – Chris Conley, American musician and songwriter/composer
Leap Days 2016 – 2032
|Year||February 29 – Day of the Week|
Leap Day Library
- Leap Day is February 29
- Customs & Traditions
- Common Year vs. Leap Year
- Famous Birthdays
- February 30 Was a Real Date
Create Calendar With Holidays
Alternative Leap Years
- Bahá'í Leap Year
- Chinese Leap Year
- Ethiopian leap year
- The Hindu leap year
- The Iranian leap year
- The Islamic leap year
- The Jewish Leap Year