D-Day in the United States
D-Day is observed in the U.S. in memory of the Normandy landings in France on June 6, 1944, in which American soldiers and other Allied forces fought to end World War II in Europe.
What Do People Do?
Some museums and war memorials host exhibitions featuring photos and film as a tribute to soldiers who were part of the Normandy landings. D-Day memorials and ceremonies are also held to remember these soldiers.
D-Day is an observance and not a federal public holiday in the U.S.
About 160,000 Allied troops landed on the beaches of Normandy, France, to fight Nazi soldiers on June 6, 1944. General Dwight D. Eisenhower called the operation a crusade in which “we will accept nothing less than full victory”. More than 5,000 ships and 13,000 aircraft supported the D-Day invasion, and by the end of the day, the troops gained a foot- hold in Normandy. Thousands of soldiers lost their lives, but thousands more trekked across Europe to end the war. The invasion is one of history’s most significant military attacks.
|Weekday||Date||Year||Name||Holiday Type||Where It is Observed|
Quick FactsD-Day is a special anniversary in some countries, including the United States (U.S.), to remember Allied forces’ invasion of Normandy, France, in the Second World War.
D-Day 2016Monday, June 6, 2016
D-Day 2017Tuesday, June 6, 2017
Name in other languages
|el día D||Spanish|
- Pearl Harbor Remembrance Day – Wednesday, December 7, 2016
- Armed Forces Day – Saturday, May 21, 2016
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 30, 2016
- Flag Day – Tuesday, June 14, 2016
- Veterans Day – Friday, November 11, 2016
Other holidays in June 2017 in the United States
- Statehood Day – Thursday, June 1, 2017
- Jefferson Davis Birthday – Saturday, June 3, 2017
- Pentecost – Sunday, June 4, 2017
- Whit Monday – Monday, June 5, 2017
- Trinity Sunday – Sunday, June 11, 2017
- Kamehameha Day – Monday, June 12, 2017
- U.S. Army Birthday – Wednesday, June 14, 2017
- Corpus Christi – Thursday, June 15, 2017
- Bunker Hill Day – Friday, June 16, 2017
- Bunker Hill Day – Saturday, June 17, 2017
- Father's Day – Sunday, June 18, 2017
- Juneteenth – Monday, June 19, 2017
- West Virginia Day – Tuesday, June 20, 2017
- Lailat al-Qadr – Wednesday, June 21, 2017
- Eid al-Fitr – Monday, June 26, 2017