Apr 13, 1949 Total Lunar Eclipse
What this lunar eclipse looks like
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least some parts of the eclipse:
- Much of Europe
- South/East Asia
- South/West North America
- Much of South America
- Indian Ocean
Total eclipse visible in:
Locations being able to see at least parts of the Total part.
- Algiers, Algeria
- Havana, Cuba
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- New York, New York, U.S.A.
- Berlin, Berlin, Germany
- Brussels, Belgium
- Caracas, Venezuela
- Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
- Casablanca, Morocco
- Mexico City, Federal District, Mexico
- Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
- Rome, Italy
- Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.
- Washington DC, District of Columbia, U.S.A.
- Dublin, Ireland
- Madrid, Spain
- Guatemala, Guatemala
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Paris, France
Partial eclipse visible in:
- Moscow, Russia
- Beirut, Lebanon
- Amman, Jordan
- Ankara, Turkey
- Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Chatham Islands, Chatham Islands, New Zealand
When the eclipse happens worldwideLunar eclipses look approximately the same all over the world and happen at the same time.
The times displayed might be a minute or two off actual times.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in New York*||Visible in New York|
|Penumbral Eclipse begins||Apr 13 at 1:34 AM||Apr 12 at 8:34 PM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse begins||Apr 13 at 2:32 AM||Apr 12 at 9:32 PM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse begins||Apr 13 at 3:29 AM||Apr 12 at 10:29 PM||Yes|
|Maximum Eclipse||Apr 13 at 4:11 AM||Apr 12 at 11:11 PM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse ends||Apr 13 at 4:52 AM||Apr 12 at 11:52 PM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse ends||Apr 13 at 5:50 AM||Apr 13 at 12:50 AM||Yes|
|Penumbral Eclipse ends||Apr 13 at 6:48 AM||Apr 13 at 1:48 AM||Yes|
* The Moon is above the horizon during this eclipse, so with good weather conditions in New York, the entire eclipse is visible.