Apr 13, 1949 Total Lunar Eclipse
What this lunar eclipse looks like
The animation shows approximately what the eclipse looks like from the night side of earth.
BETA: This is a temporary animation, it would look different in real life. We hope to fix that issue soon.
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least some parts of the eclipse:
- West in Asia
- Parts of North America
- South America
Total eclipse visible in:
Locations near the shadow's path:
- Papeete, Tahiti, France
- Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada
- Fresno, California, U.S.A.
- Stockton, California, U.S.A.
- Taiohae, Marquesas Islands, France
- Adamstown, Pitcairn Islands
- Gambier Islands, French Polynesia
- San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
- Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
- San Jose, California, U.S.A.
- Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
- Oakland, California, U.S.A.
- Angels Camp, California, U.S.A.
- Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Berkeley, California, U.S.A.
- Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
- Citrus Heights, California, U.S.A.
- Eugene, Oregon, U.S.A.
- Resolute Bay, Nunavut Territory, Canada
- Yellowknife, Northwest Territories, Canada
Partial eclipse visible in:
- Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Washington DC, District of Columbia, U.S.A.
- Brussels, Belgium
- Cairo, Egypt
- New York, New York, U.S.A.
- Alofi, Niue
- Anchorage, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Chatham Islands, Chatham Islands, New Zealand
- Fairbanks, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Pago Pago, American Samoa
- Neiafu, Tonga
- Apia, Samoa
- Fakaofo, Tokelau, Tokelau
- Rawaki, Phoenix Islands, Kiribati
- Pangai, Tonga
- Nukualofa, Tonga
- Mata-Utu, Wallis and Futuna
- Napier, New Zealand
When the eclipse happens worldwideLunar eclipses look approximately the same all over the world and happen at the same time.
The times displayed might be a minute or two off actual times.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Washington DC*||Visible in Washington DC|
|Penumbral Eclipse begins||Apr 13 at 1:34 AM||Apr 12 at 8:34 PM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse begins||Apr 13 at 2:32 AM||Apr 12 at 9:32 PM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse begins||Apr 13 at 3:29 AM||Apr 12 at 10:29 PM||Yes|
|Maximum Eclipse||Apr 13 at 4:11 AM||Apr 12 at 11:11 PM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse ends||Apr 13 at 4:52 AM||Apr 12 at 11:52 PM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse ends||Apr 13 at 5:50 AM||Apr 13 at 12:50 AM||Yes|
|Penumbral Eclipse ends||Apr 13 at 6:48 AM||Apr 13 at 1:48 AM||Yes|
* The Moon is over the horizon during this eclipse, so with good weather conditions in Washington DC, the entire eclipse is visible.