Apr 8, 2024 Total Solar Eclipse
What the eclipse would look like near the max point
The animation shows approximately what the eclipse looks like near the maximum point of the eclipse (weather permitting).
Stages in eclipse
- Partial Eclipse just started
- Partial Eclipse in good progress
- Full Eclipse starts
- Maximum Eclipse
- Full Eclipse ends
- Partial Eclipse continues
- Partial Eclipse about to end
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least a partial eclipse:
- West in Europe
- Much of North America
- North in South America
Total eclipse visible in...
Locations near the shadow's path:
- Arlington, Texas, U.S.A.
- Irving, Texas, U.S.A.
- Garland, Texas, U.S.A.
- Plano, Texas, U.S.A.
- Toledo, Ohio, U.S.A.
- Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.
- Windsor, Ontario, Canada
- Cleveland, Ohio, U.S.A.
- London, Ontario, Canada
- Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- Burlington, Ontario, Canada
- Brampton, Ontario, Canada
- Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Markham, Ontario, Canada
- Buffalo, New York, U.S.A.
- Kingston, Ontario, Canada
- Laval, Quebec, Canada
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Longueuil, Quebec, Canada
Partial eclipse visible in...
- Mexico City, Federal District, Mexico
- Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
- Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, U.S.A.
- Little Rock, Arkansas, U.S.A.
- St. Louis, Missouri, U.S.A.
- Louisville, Kentucky, U.S.A.
- Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
- Columbus, Ohio, U.S.A.
- Washington DC, District of Columbia, U.S.A.
- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, U.S.A.
- Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- New York, New York, U.S.A.
- Montpelier, Vermont, U.S.A.
- Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
- Québec, Quebec, Canada
- Augusta, Maine, U.S.A.
- Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
- Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
- St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
When the eclipse happens worldwideThe eclipse starts in one location and ends in another, the times below are for visibility for any location on earth.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Washington DC*|
|First location to see partial eclipse begin||Apr 8 at 3:43 PM||Apr 8 at 11:43 AM|
|First location to see full Eclipse begin||Apr 8 at 4:39 PM||Apr 8 at 12:39 PM|
|Maximum Eclipse||Apr 8 at 6:16 PM||Apr 8 at 2:16 PM|
|Last location to see full Eclipse end||Apr 8 at 7:56 PM||Apr 8 at 3:56 PM|
|Last location to see partial Eclipse end||Apr 8 at 8:53 PM||Apr 8 at 4:53 PM|
* Local times shown do not refer to when the eclipse can be observed from Washington DC. Instead, they indicate the times when the eclipse begins, is at its max, and ends, somewhere else on earth. The local times are useful if you want to view the eclipse via a live webcam See eclipses viewable in Washington DC.
Eclipses during year 2024
- Mar 25, 2024 Penumbral Lunar Eclipse
- Apr 8, 2024 Total Solar Eclipse (Currently shown)
- Sep 18, 2024 Partial Lunar Eclipse
- Oct 2, 2024 Annular Solar Eclipse
- Find Moonrise and Moonset for a location
- Moon Phase Calculator – Find moon phases for any year
- Find Sunrise and Sunset for a location
- Day and Night World Map – See which parts of the Earth are currently illuminated by the Sun
- Calendar for 2013
- Calendar Generator – Create a calendar for any year
- Duration between two dates – Calculates number of days