Aug 8, 1998 Penumbral Lunar Eclipse
What this lunar eclipse looks like
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least some parts of the eclipse:
- South/West Europe
- South/East Asia
- South/West North America
- Much of South America
- Indian Ocean
Partial eclipse visible in:
- Moscow, Russia
- Rome, Italy
- Caracas, Venezuela
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Washington DC, District of Columbia, U.S.A.
- Algiers, Algeria
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Madrid, Spain
- Ankara, Turkey
- Paris, France
- Athens, Greece
- New York, New York, U.S.A.
- Berlin, Berlin, Germany
- Cairo, Egypt
- Bucharest, Romania
- Budapest, Hungary
- Brussels, Belgium
- Mexico City, Federal District, Mexico
- Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
When the eclipse happens worldwideLunar eclipses look approximately the same all over the world and happen at the same time.
The times displayed might be a minute or two off actual times.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in New York*||Visible in New York|
|Penumbral Eclipse begins||Aug 8 at 1:41 AM||Aug 7 at 9:41 PM||Yes|
|Maximum Eclipse||Aug 8 at 2:25 AM||Aug 7 at 10:25 PM||Yes|
|Penumbral Eclipse ends||Aug 8 at 3:10 AM||Aug 7 at 11:10 PM||Yes|
* The Moon is above the horizon during this eclipse, so with good weather conditions in New York, the entire eclipse is visible.