May 16, 2022 Total Lunar Eclipse
What this lunar eclipse looks like
The animation shows approximately what the eclipse looks like from the night side of earth.
BETA: This is a temporary animation, it would look different in real life. We hope to fix that issue soon.
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least some parts of the eclipse:
- West in Asia
- Parts of North America
- South America
Total eclipse visible in:
Locations near the shadow's path:
- Baker Lake, Nunavut Territory, Canada
- Anaheim, California, U.S.A.
- Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
- San Jose, California, U.S.A.
- Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Billings, Montana, U.S.A.
- Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A.
- San Diego, California, U.S.A.
- Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Oakland, California, U.S.A.
- Papeete, Tahiti, French Polynesia
- Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada
- San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
- Fresno, California, U.S.A.
- Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
- Long Beach, California, U.S.A.
- San Bernardino, California, U.S.A.
- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- Rarotonga, Cook Islands
- Thule Air Base, Greenland
Partial eclipse visible in:
- London, England, United Kingdom
- New York, New York, U.S.A.
- Washington DC, District of Columbia, U.S.A.
- Pond Inlet, Nunavut Territory, Canada
- Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.A.
- Napier, New Zealand
- Apia, Samoa
- Nukualofa, Tonga
- Wellington, New Zealand
- Fakaofo, Tokelau, Tokelau
- Hamilton, New Zealand
- Rawaki, Phoenix Islands, Kiribati
- Auckland, New Zealand
- Invercargill, New Zealand
- Juneau, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Mata-Utu, Wallis and Futuna
- Suva, Fiji
- Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada
- Baker Island, U.S.A.
- Funafuti, Tuvalu
When the eclipse happens worldwideLunar eclipses look approximately the same all over the world and happen at the same time.
The times displayed might be a minute or two off actual times.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Seattle*||Visible in Seattle|
|Penumbral Eclipse begins||May 16 at 1:34 AM||May 15 at 6:34 PM||No, under horizon|
|Partial Eclipse begins||May 16 at 2:32 AM||May 15 at 7:32 PM||No, under horizon|
|Full Eclipse begins||May 16 at 3:31 AM||May 15 at 8:31 PM||No, under horizon|
|Maximum Eclipse||May 16 at 4:12 AM||May 15 at 9:12 PM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse ends||May 16 at 4:53 AM||May 15 at 9:53 PM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse ends||May 16 at 5:52 AM||May 15 at 10:52 PM||Yes|
|Penumbral Eclipse ends||May 16 at 6:50 AM||May 15 at 11:50 PM||Yes|
* The Moon is under the horizon in Seattle some of the time, so that part of the eclipse is not visible.