Dec 20 – Dec 21, 2029 Total Lunar Eclipse
What this lunar eclipse looks like
The animation shows approximately what the eclipse looks like from the night side of earth.
BETA: This is a temporary animation, it would look different in real life. We hope to fix that issue soon.
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least some parts of the eclipse:
- Parts of Asia
- Parts of North America
- East in South America
Total eclipse visible in:
Locations near the shadow's path:
- San Juan, Puerto Rico
- Nassau, Bahamas
- Asuncion, Paraguay
- Washington DC, District of Columbia, U.S.A.
- Atlanta, Georgia, U.S.A.
- Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
- Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A.
- São Paulo, São Paulo, Brazil
- Kingston, Jamaica
- New York, New York, U.S.A.
- Miami, Florida, U.S.A.
- Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.
- Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Caracas, Venezuela
- Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Havana, Cuba
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
Partial eclipse visible in:
- Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
- San Jose, Costa Rica
- Merida, Yucatán, Mexico
- Guayaquil, Ecuador
- Dallas, Texas, U.S.A.
- Managua, Nicaragua
- Belmopan, Belize
- Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
- Lima, Lima, Peru
- Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- San Salvador, El Salvador
- Austin, Texas, U.S.A.
- Guatemala, Guatemala
- Denver, Colorado, U.S.A.
- Helena, Montana, U.S.A.
- Santiago, Chile
- Monterrey, Nuevo León, Mexico
- Mexico City, Federal District, Mexico
- Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A.
- Aguascalientes, Aguascalientes, Mexico
When the eclipse happens worldwideLunar eclipses look approximately the same all over the world and happen at the same time.
The times displayed might be a minute or two off actual times.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Washington DC*||Visible in Washington DC|
|Penumbral Eclipse begins||Dec 20 at 7:44 PM||Dec 20 at 2:44 PM||No, under horizon|
|Partial Eclipse begins||Dec 20 at 8:56 PM||Dec 20 at 3:56 PM||No, under horizon|
|Full Eclipse begins||Dec 20 at 10:17 PM||Dec 20 at 5:17 PM||Yes|
|Maximum Eclipse||Dec 20 at 10:41 PM||Dec 20 at 5:41 PM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse ends||Dec 20 at 11:06 PM||Dec 20 at 6:06 PM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse ends||Dec 21 at 12:27 AM||Dec 20 at 7:27 PM||Yes|
|Penumbral Eclipse ends||Dec 21 at 1:39 AM||Dec 20 at 8:39 PM||Yes|
* The Moon is under the horizon in Washington DC some of the time, so that part of the eclipse is not visible.