Aug 6 – Aug 7, 2036 Total Lunar Eclipse
What this lunar eclipse looks like
The animation shows approximately what the eclipse looks like from the night side of earth.
BETA: This is a temporary animation, it would look different in real life. We hope to fix that issue soon.
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least some parts of the eclipse:
- West in Asia
- West in Africa
- East in North America
- South America
Total eclipse visible in:
Locations near the shadow's path:
- Phoenix, Arizona, U.S.A.
- New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.
- Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
- Mexico City, Federal District, Mexico
- Salt Lake City, Utah, U.S.A.
- Dallas, Texas, U.S.A.
- Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
- Houston, Texas, U.S.A.
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma, U.S.A.
- Las Vegas, Nevada, U.S.A.
- Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A.
- Easter Island, Chile
- Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico
- Denver, Colorado, U.S.A.
- Adamstown, Pitcairn Islands
- Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.A.
- Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
- Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S.A.
- Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
Partial eclipse visible in:
- Moscow, Russia
- Bucharest, Romania
- Paris, France
- Berlin, Berlin, Germany
- Baghdad, Iraq
- Rome, Italy
- New York, New York, U.S.A.
- Algiers, Algeria
- Brussels, Belgium
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Cairo, Egypt
- Ankara, Turkey
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Athens, Greece
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Madrid, Spain
- Washington DC, District of Columbia, U.S.A.
- Papeete, Tahiti, French Polynesia
- Rarotonga, Cook Islands
- Kiritimati, Christmas Island, Kiribati
When the eclipse happens worldwideLunar eclipses look approximately the same all over the world and happen at the same time.
The times displayed might be a minute or two off actual times.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Seattle*||Visible in Seattle|
|Penumbral Eclipse begins||Aug 6 at 11:47 PM||Aug 6 at 4:47 PM||No, under horizon|
|Partial Eclipse begins||Aug 7 at 12:57 AM||Aug 6 at 5:57 PM||No, under horizon|
|Full Eclipse begins||Aug 7 at 2:05 AM||Aug 6 at 7:05 PM||No, under horizon|
|Maximum Eclipse||Aug 7 at 2:52 AM||Aug 6 at 7:52 PM||No, under horizon|
|Full Eclipse ends||Aug 7 at 3:38 AM||Aug 6 at 8:38 PM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse ends||Aug 7 at 4:47 AM||Aug 6 at 9:47 PM||Yes|
|Penumbral Eclipse ends||Aug 7 at 5:57 AM||Aug 6 at 10:57 PM||Yes|
* The Moon is under the horizon in Seattle some of the time, so that part of the eclipse is not visible.