Palm Sunday in Canada
Many Christians in Canada remember Jesus Christ’s triumphal entry into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday, which marks the beginning of Holy Week. This day is also on the Sunday before Easter Sunday.
What Do People Do?
Many Christian churches hold special services on Palm Sunday where congregation members receive blessed palm leaves, which symbolize victory and joy. Palm Sunday palms are usually kept and used to make the Ash Wednesday ashes for the next year. Service readings focus on the story of Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem and the events in his life that took place, including his suffering, prior to his death on the cross.
Churches may involve children by blessing them, including children’s songs and hymns, or having special Sunday school sessions. Some people within the Catholic community and other Christian denominations devote their time learning about the story of Jesus Christ’s suffering in the lead up to his death and resurrection. Some university chapel choirs sing special songs on Palm Sunday.
Palm Sunday is not a federal holiday in Canada. However, it is held on a Sunday, which is a non-school day and non-working day for many Canadians.
Palm Sunday is observed among many Christian churches as part of Holy Week in Canada. It is the last Sunday during the Lenten period, as well as the Sunday before Easter Sunday. Palm Sunday events and traditions have been observed in Canada for many years. Newspaper articles as far back as the late 19th century described Palm Sunday observations such as the blessing of palms at church services in cities such as Winnipeg, in Manitoba.
About Palm Sunday in other countriesRead more about Palm Sunday.
Palm Sunday Observances
|Weekday||Date||Year||Name||Holiday Type||Where It is Observed|
|Sun||Mar 28||2010||Palm Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Apr 17||2011||Palm Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Apr 1||2012||Palm Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Mar 24||2013||Palm Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Apr 13||2014||Palm Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Mar 29||2015||Palm Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Mar 20||2016||Palm Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Apr 9||2017||Palm Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Mar 25||2018||Palm Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Apr 14||2019||Palm Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Apr 5||2020||Palm Sunday||Christian|
Quick FactsPalm Sunday in Canada celebrates Jesus Christ’s entry into Jerusalem. It is also the Sunday before Easter Sunday.
Palm Sunday 2018Sunday, March 25, 2018
Palm Sunday 2019Sunday, April 14, 2019
Name in other languages
|Dimanche des Rameaux||French|
- Maundy Thursday – Thursday, March 29, 2018
- Good Friday – Friday, March 30, 2018
- Holy Saturday – Saturday, March 31, 2018
- Easter Sunday – Sunday, April 1, 2018
- Easter Monday – Monday, April 2, 2018
Other holidays in March 2019 in Canada
- St David's Day – Friday, March 1, 2019
- Carnival/Shrove Tuesday – Tuesday, March 5, 2019
- Ash Wednesday – Wednesday, March 6, 2019
- Commonwealth Day – Monday, March 11, 2019
- St. Patrick's Day – Sunday, March 17, 2019
- St. Patrick's Day – Monday, March 18, 2019
- Purim – Thursday, March 21, 2019
United Nation Holidays on March 25, 2019
- International Day of Remembrance of Slavery Victims and the Transatlantic Slave Trade
- International Day of Solidarity with Detained and Missing Staff Members