Dec 18 – Dec 19, 1945 Total Lunar Eclipse
What this lunar eclipse looks like
The animation shows approximately what the eclipse looks like from the night side of earth.
BETA: This is a temporary animation, it would look different in real life. We hope to fix that issue soon.
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least some parts of the eclipse:
- Much of Europe
- Parts of Asia
- Parts of Africa
- Parts of North America
- Much of South America
Total eclipse visible in:
Locations near the shadow's path:
- Easter Island, Chile
- Oakland, California, U.S.A.
- Long Beach, California, U.S.A.
- San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
- San Bernardino, California, U.S.A.
- Anchorage, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Anaheim, California, U.S.A.
- Punta Arenas, Chile
- Riverside, California, U.S.A.
- Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
- Stockton, California, U.S.A.
- San Diego, California, U.S.A.
- Angels Camp, California, U.S.A.
- Anadyr, Russia
- Bakersfield, California, U.S.A.
- Mexicali, Baja California, Mexico
- Berkeley, California, U.S.A.
- Chula Vista, California, U.S.A.
- Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
- San Jose, California, U.S.A.
Partial eclipse visible in:
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Ankara, Turkey
- Cairo, Egypt
- Madrid, Spain
- Mexico City, Federal District, Mexico
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Moscow, Russia
- New York, New York, U.S.A.
- Paris, France
- Brussels, Belgium
- Rome, Italy
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Algiers, Algeria
- Washington DC, District of Columbia, U.S.A.
- New Delhi, Delhi, India
- Adamstown, Pitcairn Islands
- Adak, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Taiohae, Marquesas Islands, France
- Gambier Islands, French Polynesia
- Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.A.
When the eclipse happens worldwideLunar eclipses look approximately the same all over the world and happen at the same time.
The times displayed might be a minute or two off actual times.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Washington DC*||Visible in Washington DC|
|Penumbral Eclipse begins||Dec 18 at 11:41 PM||Dec 18 at 6:41 PM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse begins||Dec 19 at 12:40 AM||Dec 18 at 7:40 PM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse begins||Dec 19 at 1:42 AM||Dec 18 at 8:42 PM||Yes|
|Maximum Eclipse||Dec 19 at 2:21 AM||Dec 18 at 9:21 PM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse ends||Dec 19 at 2:59 AM||Dec 18 at 9:59 PM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse ends||Dec 19 at 4:01 AM||Dec 18 at 11:01 PM||Yes|
|Penumbral Eclipse ends||Dec 19 at 5:00 AM||Dec 19 at 12:00 Midnight||Yes|
* The Moon is over the horizon during this eclipse, so with good weather conditions in Washington DC, the entire eclipse is visible.