Oct 28, 2004 Total Lunar Eclipse
What this lunar eclipse looks like
The animation shows approximately what the eclipse looks like from the night side of earth.
BETA: This is a temporary animation, it would look different in real life. We hope to fix that issue soon.
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least some parts of the eclipse:
- Parts of Europe
- West in Asia
- West in Africa
- Parts of North America
- South America
Total eclipse visible in:
Locations near the shadow's path:
- Eugene, Oregon, U.S.A.
- San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
- Thousand Oaks, California, U.S.A.
- Fremont, California, U.S.A.
- Fairbanks, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Hayward, California, U.S.A.
- Easter Island, Chile
- Modesto, California, U.S.A.
- Sacramento, California, U.S.A.
- Oxnard, California, U.S.A.
- Berkeley, California, U.S.A.
- Salinas, California, U.S.A.
- Anchorage, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Santa Rosa, California, U.S.A.
- Stockton, California, U.S.A.
- Sunnyvale, California, U.S.A.
- Citrus Heights, California, U.S.A.
- Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada
- Adamstown, Pitcairn Islands
- Unalaska, Alaska, U.S.A.
Partial eclipse visible in:
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Cairo, Egypt
- Madrid, Spain
- Mexico City, Federal District, Mexico
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Moscow, Russia
- Washington DC, District of Columbia, U.S.A.
- Paris, France
- Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
- Rome, Italy
- New York, New York, U.S.A.
- Brussels, Belgium
- Algiers, Algeria
- Anadyr, Russia
- Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.A.
- Papeete, Tahiti, France
- Kiritimati, Christmas Island, Kiribati
- Adak, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Rarotonga, Cook Islands
When the eclipse happens worldwideLunar eclipses look approximately the same all over the world and happen at the same time.
The times displayed might be a minute or two off actual times.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Washington DC*||Visible in Washington DC|
|Penumbral Eclipse begins||Oct 28 at 12:09 AM||Oct 27 at 8:09 PM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse begins||Oct 28 at 1:16 AM||Oct 27 at 9:16 PM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse begins||Oct 28 at 2:26 AM||Oct 27 at 10:26 PM||Yes|
|Maximum Eclipse||Oct 28 at 3:05 AM||Oct 27 at 11:05 PM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse ends||Oct 28 at 3:43 AM||Oct 27 at 11:43 PM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse ends||Oct 28 at 4:53 AM||Oct 28 at 12:53 AM||Yes|
|Penumbral Eclipse ends||Oct 28 at 6:00 AM||Oct 28 at 2:00 AM||Yes|
* The Moon is over the horizon during this eclipse, so with good weather conditions in Washington DC, the entire eclipse is visible.