Oct 14, 2004 Partial Solar Eclipse
What the eclipse would look like near the maximum point
The animation shows approximately what the eclipse looks like near the maximum point of the eclipse (weather permitting).
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least a partial eclipse:
- Parts of Asia
- Parts of North America
Partial eclipse visible in:
- Norilsk, Russia
- Yakutsk, Russia
- Prudhoe Bay, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Komsomolsk-on-Amur, Russia
- Magadan, Russia
- Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Russia
- Glennallen, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Sapporo, Japan
- Anadyr, Russia
- Barrow, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Russia
- Tokyo, Japan
- Nome, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Anchorage, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Kodiak, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Unalaska, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Midway, Midway Atoll, U.S.A.
- Wake Island, Wake Island, U.S.A.
- Wailuku, Hawaii, U.S.A.
- Lihue, Hawaii, U.S.A.
When the eclipse happens worldwideThe eclipse starts at one location and ends at another. The times below are actual times (in UTC) when the eclipse occurs.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Washington DC*|
|First location to see partial eclipse begin||Oct 14 at 12:55 AM||Oct 13 at 8:55 PM|
|Maximum Eclipse||Oct 14 at 3:00 AM||Oct 13 at 11:00 PM|
|Last location to see partial Eclipse end||Oct 14 at 5:05 AM||Oct 14 at 1:05 AM|
* Local times shown do not refer to when the eclipse can be observed from Washington DC. Instead, they indicate the times when the eclipse begins, is at its max, and ends, somewhere else on earth. The corresponding local times are useful if you want to view the eclipse via a live webcam.
Eclipses viewable in Washington DC.
Eclipses during year 2004
- Apr 19, 2004 Partial Solar Eclipse
- May 4, 2004 Total Lunar Eclipse
- Oct 14, 2004 Partial Solar Eclipse (Currently shown)
- Oct 28, 2004 Total Lunar Eclipse
- Find Moonrise and Moonset for a location
- Moon Phase Calculator – Find moon phases for any year
- Find Sunrise and Sunset for a location
- Day and Night World Map – See which parts of the Earth are currently illuminated by the Sun
- Calendar for 2014
- Calendar Generator – Create a calendar for any year
- Duration between two dates – Calculates number of days