Feb 21, 2008 Total Lunar Eclipse
What this lunar eclipse looks like
The animation shows approximately what the eclipse looks like from the night side of earth.
BETA: This is a temporary animation, it would look different in real life. We hope to fix that issue soon.
Stages in eclipse
- Penumbral Eclipse just started
- Penumbral Eclipse in good progress
- Partial Eclipse starts
- Total Eclipse starts
- Maximum Eclipse
- Total Eclipse ends
- Full Eclipse ends
- Penumbral Eclipse continues
- Penumbral Eclipse about to end
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least some parts of the eclipse:
- Parts of Europe
- West in Asia
- West in Africa
- Parts of North America
- South America
Total eclipse visible in...
Locations near the shadow's path:
- Adamstown, Pitcairn Islands
- San Jose, California, U.S.A.
- San Diego, California, U.S.A.
- San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
- Oakland, California, U.S.A.
- Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
- Long Beach, California, U.S.A.
- Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
- Anaheim, California, U.S.A.
- Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada
- Riverside, California, U.S.A.
- Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
- Stockton, California, U.S.A.
- Anchorage, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
- Fairbanks, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
- Easter Island, Chile
- Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Gambier Islands, French Polynesia
Partial eclipse visible in...
- Darwin, Northern Territory, Australia
- Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Bangkok, Thailand
- Beijing, China
- Jakarta, Jakarta Special Capital Region, Indonesia
- Hanoi, Vietnam
- Dhaka, Bangladesh
- Kolkata, West Bengal, India
- Unalaska, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Papeete, Tahiti, France
- Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.A.
- Kiritimati, Christmas Island, Kiribati
- Anadyr, Russia
- Suva, Fiji
- Chatham Islands, Chatham Islands, New Zealand
- Guam (Hagåtña), Guam
- Auckland, New Zealand
- Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
- Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
- Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
When the eclipse happens worldwideLunar eclipses look approximately the same all over the world and happen at the same time.
The times displayed might be a minute or two off actual times.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Washington DC*||Visible in Washington DC|
|Penumbral Eclipse begins||Feb 21 at 12:38 AM||Feb 20 at 7:38 PM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse begins||Feb 21 at 1:44 AM||Feb 20 at 8:44 PM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse begins||Feb 21 at 3:03 AM||Feb 20 at 10:03 PM||Yes|
|Maximum Eclipse||Feb 21 at 3:26 AM||Feb 20 at 10:26 PM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse ends||Feb 21 at 3:49 AM||Feb 20 at 10:49 PM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse ends||Feb 21 at 5:07 AM||Feb 21 at 12:07 AM||Yes|
|Penumbral Eclipse ends||Feb 21 at 6:14 AM||Feb 21 at 1:14 AM||Yes|
* The Moon is over the horizon during this eclipse, so with good weather conditions in Washington DC, the entire eclipse is visible.