Feb 21, 2008 Total Lunar Eclipse
What this lunar eclipse looks like
The animation shows approximately what the eclipse looks like from the night side of earth.
BETA: This is a temporary animation, it would look different in real life. We hope to fix that issue soon.
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least some parts of the eclipse:
- Parts of Europe
- West in Asia
- West in Africa
- Parts of North America
- South America
Total eclipse visible in:
Locations near the shadow's path:
- Adamstown, Pitcairn Islands
- San Jose, California, U.S.A.
- San Diego, California, U.S.A.
- San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
- Oakland, California, U.S.A.
- Seattle, Washington, U.S.A.
- Long Beach, California, U.S.A.
- Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
- Anaheim, California, U.S.A.
- Whitehorse, Yukon Territory, Canada
- Riverside, California, U.S.A.
- Portland, Oregon, U.S.A.
- Stockton, California, U.S.A.
- Anchorage, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Surrey, British Columbia, Canada
- Fairbanks, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
- Easter Island, Chile
- Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
- Gambier Islands, French Polynesia
Partial eclipse visible in:
- Cairo, Egypt
- Athens, Greece
- Madrid, Spain
- Moscow, Russia
- Ankara, Turkey
- Paris, France
- New York, New York, U.S.A.
- Rome, Italy
- Brussels, Belgium
- Algiers, Algeria
- Mexico City, Federal District, Mexico
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
- Washington DC, District of Columbia, U.S.A.
- Buenos Aires, Argentina
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Papeete, Tahiti, France
- Unalaska, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.A.
- Kiritimati, Christmas Island, Kiribati
- Anadyr, Russia
When the eclipse happens worldwideLunar eclipses look approximately the same all over the world and happen at the same time.
The times displayed might be a minute or two off actual times.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Seattle*||Visible in Seattle|
|Penumbral Eclipse begins||Feb 21 at 12:38 AM||Feb 20 at 4:38 PM||No, under horizon|
|Partial Eclipse begins||Feb 21 at 1:44 AM||Feb 20 at 5:44 PM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse begins||Feb 21 at 3:03 AM||Feb 20 at 7:03 PM||Yes|
|Maximum Eclipse||Feb 21 at 3:26 AM||Feb 20 at 7:26 PM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse ends||Feb 21 at 3:49 AM||Feb 20 at 7:49 PM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse ends||Feb 21 at 5:07 AM||Feb 20 at 9:07 PM||Yes|
|Penumbral Eclipse ends||Feb 21 at 6:14 AM||Feb 20 at 10:14 PM||Yes|
* The Moon is under the horizon in Seattle some of the time, so that part of the eclipse is not visible.