Feb 7, 2008 Annular Solar Eclipse
The annular solar eclipse on February 7, 2008 is the first of 2 solar eclipses in 2008. The best locations to watch this eclipse are the south Pacific region and Antarctica, but it is also visible as a partial solar eclipse in New Zealand and parts of Australia.
What the eclipse would look like near the maximum point
The animation shows approximately what the eclipse looks like near the maximum point of the eclipse (weather permitting).
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least a partial eclipse:
- South/West Australia
- Indian Ocean
Annular eclipse visible in:
Locations near the shadow's path:
Partial eclipse visible in:
- McMurdo, Antarctica
- Oban, New Zealand
- Invercargill, New Zealand
- Dunedin, New Zealand
- Queenstown, New Zealand
- Christchurch, New Zealand
- Greymouth, New Zealand
- Chatham Islands, Chatham Islands, New Zealand
- Blenheim, New Zealand
- Nelson, New Zealand
- Wellington, New Zealand
- Palmerston North, New Zealand
- Wanganui, New Zealand
- Napier, New Zealand
- Taupo, New Zealand
- Gisborne, New Zealand
- Rotorua, New Zealand
- Tauranga, New Zealand
- Auckland, New Zealand
- Rarotonga, Cook Islands
When the eclipse happens worldwideThe eclipse starts at one location and ends at another. The times below are actual times (in UTC) when the eclipse occurs.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Seattle*|
|First location to see partial eclipse begin||Feb 7 at 1:38 AM||Feb 6 at 5:38 PM|
|First location to see full Eclipse begin||Feb 7 at 3:20 AM||Feb 6 at 7:20 PM|
|Maximum Eclipse||Feb 7 at 3:56 AM||Feb 6 at 7:56 PM|
|Last location to see full Eclipse end||Feb 7 at 4:30 AM||Feb 6 at 8:30 PM|
|Last location to see partial Eclipse end||Feb 7 at 6:11 AM||Feb 6 at 10:11 PM|
* Local times shown do not refer to when the eclipse can be observed from Seattle. Instead, they indicate the times when the eclipse begins, is at its max, and ends, somewhere else on earth. The corresponding local times are useful if you want to view the eclipse via a live webcam.
Eclipses viewable in Seattle.
Eclipses in 2008
- Find Moonrise and Moonset for a location
- Moon Phase Calculator – Find moon phases for any year
- Find Sunrise and Sunset for a location
- Day and Night World Map – See which parts of the Earth are currently illuminated by the Sun
- Calendar for 2014
- Calendar Generator – Create a calendar for any year
- Duration between two dates – Calculates number of days