Arbor Day in the United States
Arbor Day is a state holiday to promote tree planting in Nebraska and is held on the last Friday of April.
Celebrate Arbor Day
On Arbor Day, people are encouraged to care for their natural environment. It's a time for people to get their hands in the dirt and plant and/or care for trees, bushes and plants. Events include: communal tree planting, exhibitions, fairs, music performances and open days in garden centers. Arbor Day awards are also presented in communities, schools, and organizations throughout the United States.
Arbor Day falls on the last Friday of April in Nebraska. It is a legal holiday so some state offices and historic sites are closed. Some schools are closed, while others remain open, so residents must check with their local school on possible school closures. Some businesses are closed but others may remain open.
About Arbor Day
In 1854 J Sterling Morton moved from Detroit to the area that is now Nebraska. He and other pioneers noticed a lack of trees, which were needed to act as windbreaks to stabilize the soil and to give shade from the Sun. Morton planted many trees around his own home and encouraged others to do the same.
On January 4, 1872, he proposed a holiday to plant trees on April 10 that year. This was known as "Arbor Day" and prizes were awarded to the counties and individuals who planted the most trees on the day. About one million trees were planted in Nebraska on the first Arbor Day. In 1885, Arbor Day became a legal holiday and was moved to April 22, which was Morton's birthday. In 1989 the official state holiday was moved to the last Friday in April. All states in the US now have an official Arbor Day, usually at a time of year that is has the best weather conditions for planting trees.
Arbor Day Observances
|Weekday||Date||Year||Name||Holiday Type||Where It is Observed|
|Fri||Apr 30||2010||Arbor Day||State holiday||Nebraska|
|Fri||Apr 29||2011||Arbor Day||State holiday||Nebraska|
|Fri||Apr 27||2012||Arbor Day||State holiday||Nebraska|
|Fri||Apr 26||2013||Arbor Day||State holiday||Nebraska|
|Fri||Apr 25||2014||Arbor Day||State holiday||Nebraska|
|Fri||Apr 24||2015||Arbor Day||State holiday||Nebraska|
|Fri||Apr 29||2016||Arbor Day||State holiday||Nebraska|
|Fri||Apr 28||2017||Arbor Day||State holiday||Nebraska|
|Fri||Apr 27||2018||Arbor Day||State holiday||Nebraska|
|Fri||Apr 26||2019||Arbor Day||State holiday||Nebraska|
|Fri||Apr 24||2020||Arbor Day||State holiday||Nebraska|
Quick FactsArbor Day encourages people to plant and care for trees. In Nebraska, it falls on the last Friday of April.
Arbor Day 2018Friday, April 27, 2018 (local in Nebraska)
Arbor Day 2019Friday, April 26, 2019 (local in Nebraska)
Name in other languages
|Día del Árbol||Spanish|
|Treets dag i Nebraska||Norwegian|
|Tag des Baumes||German|
- Tu Bishvat/Tu B'Shevat – Wednesday, January 31, 2018
Other holidays in April 2018 in the United States
- Easter Sunday – Sunday, April 1, 2018
- Easter Monday – Monday, April 2, 2018
- Orthodox Good Friday – Friday, April 6, 2018
- Last Day of Passover – Saturday, April 7, 2018
- Orthodox Easter – Sunday, April 8, 2018
- Orthodox Easter Monday – Monday, April 9, 2018
- National Library Workers' Day – Tuesday, April 10, 2018
- Yom HaShoah – Wednesday, April 11, 2018
- Isra and Mi'raj – Friday, April 13, 2018
- Father Damien Day – Sunday, April 15, 2018
- Emancipation Day – Monday, April 16, 2018
- Tax Day – Tuesday, April 17, 2018
- Yom Ha'atzmaut – Thursday, April 19, 2018
- San Jacinto Day – Saturday, April 21, 2018
- Oklahoma Day – Sunday, April 22, 2018
- Confederate Memorial Day – Monday, April 23, 2018
- Administrative Professionals Day – Wednesday, April 25, 2018
- State Holiday – Thursday, April 26, 2018
- State Holiday – Monday, April 30, 2018