Trinity Sunday in the United States
Trinity Sunday is the first Sunday after Pentecost and is celebrated by many Christians in the United States. It is one of the few feasts that are celebrated as a doctrine instead of an event. It is also symbolic of the unity of the Trinity.
What Do People Do?
On Trinity Sunday many Christians in the United States remember and honor the belief of an eternal God, consisting of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Many churches have special prayers on Trinity Sunday. The Athanasian Creed, named after St Athanasius, Archbishop of Alexandria, is recited in some churches on Trinity Sunday because of its strong affirmation of the Triune nature of God.
Churches and choirs across the United States have planned special activities and events centered on Trinity Sunday. These include:
- Choral vespers concerts.
- Special church services focusing on the Holy Trinity and featuring music by the trumpet and the pipe organ.
- Special awards given at Trinity Sunday church services.
- Meals and social events after church services.
- Evensong services.
The ordinal Sundays following Trinity Sunday are focused on Christian growth and discipleship after a long period of emphasis on the life and ministry of Jesus. In the Eastern Orthodox and Eastern Catholic churches, the Sunday of Pentecost itself is called Trinity Sunday.
Trinity Sunday is not a federal holiday in the United States.
Pope Gregory IX instituted Trinity Sunday in 828 CE. This day is notable for being the only major Christian festival that celebrates a doctrine of the church rather than an event in its sacred history. It is dedicated to the Christian belief in the Trinity – Father, Son and Holy Spirit – and falls on the Sunday following Pentecost each year. The belief of one God in three elements is a distinctive of the Christian faith but the early church was plagued by contrary views. Trinity Sunday spread throughout the western church around the 14th century.
In some churches, the liturgical color is white on Trinity Sunday. Images of the Trinity of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit depict that there are three elements of one God. The Trinity is sometimes symbolized by a triangular shape formed by three overlapping oval rings or loops, each featuring the one of the following images: the crown (father) within the top loop; the lamb (son) within the second loop (clockwise); and the dove (spirit) within the third loop (clockwise). Other shapes depicting the Trinity include Borromean rings and the triquetra.
The Borromean rings feature three overlapping round circles forming a triangular shape, and in the center, inside all the circles is the word "unitas". The Borromean rings are named after the crest of the Borromeo family in 15th-century Tuscany. The triquetra symbol uses shapes similar to one of the oldest Christian symbols. In the triquetra, the three equal arches of the circle express the equality of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. The union of the arches represents the unity of the Godhead. Their continuous form symbolizes eternity. Their interwoven appearance denotes the indivisibility of the Trinity. In the center of the triquetra is an equilateral triangle, one of the most ancient Trinity symbols, and each pair of arches formed an ellipse, the symbol of God’s glory.
About Trinity Sunday in other countriesRead more about Trinity Sunday.
Trinity Sunday Observances
|Weekday||Date||Year||Name||Holiday Type||Where It is Observed|
|Sun||May 30||2010||Trinity Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Jun 19||2011||Trinity Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Jun 3||2012||Trinity Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||May 26||2013||Trinity Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Jun 15||2014||Trinity Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||May 31||2015||Trinity Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||May 22||2016||Trinity Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Jun 11||2017||Trinity Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||May 27||2018||Trinity Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Jun 16||2019||Trinity Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Jun 7||2020||Trinity Sunday||Christian|
Quick FactsTrinity Sunday is the first Sunday after Pentecost and is celebrated by many Christians in the United States.
Trinity Sunday 2018Sunday, May 27, 2018
Trinity Sunday 2019Sunday, June 16, 2019
Name in other languages
|Domingo de Trinidad||Spanish|
|חג השילוש הקדוש||Hebrew|
|성 삼위일체 주일||Korean|
Other holidays in May 2018 in the United States
- Law Day – Tuesday, May 1, 2018
- Lag BaOmer – Thursday, May 3, 2018
- Kent State Shootings Remembrance – Friday, May 4, 2018
- Cinco de Mayo – Saturday, May 5, 2018
- National Nurses Day – Sunday, May 6, 2018
- Truman Day – Tuesday, May 8, 2018
- Ascension Day – Thursday, May 10, 2018
- Military Spouse Appreciation Day – Friday, May 11, 2018
- Mother's Day – Sunday, May 13, 2018
- Peace Officers Memorial Day – Tuesday, May 15, 2018
- Ramadan starts – Wednesday, May 16, 2018
- National Defense Transportation Day – Friday, May 18, 2018
- Armed Forces Day – Saturday, May 19, 2018
- Pentecost – Sunday, May 20, 2018
- Whit Monday – Monday, May 21, 2018
- National Maritime Day – Tuesday, May 22, 2018
- Emergency Medical Services for Children Day – Wednesday, May 23, 2018
- National Missing Children's Day – Friday, May 25, 2018
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 28, 2018
- Corpus Christi – Thursday, May 31, 2018