Primary Election Day West Virginia in the United States
West Virginia’s primary election, also known as primary election day, is listed as a state holiday in which state government offices in West Virginia are closed. West Virginia’s primary election occurs on the second Tuesday of May during even years
What Do People Do?
Polling Places are usually open from 6.30am (06:30) to 7.30pm (19:30) local time on primary election day in West Virginia. Voters eligible to vote in West Virginia’s primary election must be United States citizens and residents in West Virginia.
Some people volunteer to be poll workers for the primary election. In West Virginia’s counties that use electronic voting systems, county commission clerks must deliver vote recording devices to polling places not less than one hour prior to polls opening.
West Virginia’s primary election day is listed as a state holiday, in which the state government is closed. It is also a holiday for some university employees.
Workers who do not have a holiday can request up to three hours off from their employer, without taking leave or a deduction of pay, if they do not have at least three hours before or after work that they can go to the polls to vote. This request must be made in writing and be given to employers at least three days prior to election day.
A primary election is a preliminary election in which voters nominate party candidates for office. Voters in a jurisdiction select candidates for subsequent elections. It is one way that a political party nominates candidates for a following general election. They are common in the United States and are conducted by the government on behalf of the parties.
West Virginia has a closed primary, meaning that voters can only vote the ballot of the party in which they are registered, although some parties allow unaffiliated voters to vote their ballots upon request. A party change must be filed by the close of registration (21 days) before a primary or general election for voters to be eligible to vote the new party's ballot.
Primary Election Day West Virginia Observances
|Weekday||Date||Year||Name||Holiday Type||Where It is Observed|
|Tue||May 11||2010||Primary Election Day West Virginia||State holiday||West Virginia|
|Tue||May 8||2012||Primary Election Day West Virginia||State holiday||West Virginia|
|Tue||May 13||2014||Primary Election Day West Virginia||State holiday||West Virginia|
|Tue||May 10||2016||Primary Election Day West Virginia||State holiday||West Virginia|
|Tue||May 8||2018||Primary Election Day West Virginia||State holiday||West Virginia|
|Tue||May 12||2020||Primary Election Day West Virginia||State holiday||West Virginia|
Quick FactsMany residents in West Virginia vote during the state’s primary election day.
Primary Election Day West Virginia 2018Tuesday, May 8, 2018 (local in West Virginia)
Primary Election Day West Virginia 2019Primary Election Day West Virginia does not occur in 2019
Name in other languages
|Primary Election Day West Virginia||English|
|Día de Elección Primaria en West Virginia||Spanish|
|עיקרי בחירות במערב וירג'יניה||Hebrew|
|الأولية انتخاب فيرجينيا الغربية||Arabic|
|예비 선거 웨스트 버지니아||Korean|
|Primærvalg i West Virginia||Norwegian|
|Wahltag in Virginia||German|
Other holidays in May 2019 in the United States
- Yom HaShoah – Wednesday, May 1, 2019
- National Day of Prayer – Thursday, May 2, 2019
- Kentucky Oaks – Friday, May 3, 2019
- Kent State Shootings Remembrance – Saturday, May 4, 2019
- Cinco de Mayo – Sunday, May 5, 2019
- Ramadan starts – Monday, May 6, 2019
- Truman Day – Wednesday, May 8, 2019
- Yom Ha'atzmaut – Thursday, May 9, 2019
- Confederate Memorial Day – Friday, May 10, 2019
- Mother's Day – Sunday, May 12, 2019
- Peace Officers Memorial Day – Wednesday, May 15, 2019
- National Defense Transportation Day – Friday, May 17, 2019
- Armed Forces Day – Saturday, May 18, 2019
- Emergency Medical Services for Children Day – Wednesday, May 22, 2019
- Lag BaOmer – Thursday, May 23, 2019
- National Missing Children's Day – Saturday, May 25, 2019
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 27, 2019
- Ascension Day – Thursday, May 30, 2019
- Lailat al-Qadr – Friday, May 31, 2019