Palm Sunday in the United Kingdom
Many Christians in the United Kingdom remember Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem on Palm Sunday, which marks the beginning of Holy Week. This day is also on the Sunday before Easter Sunday.
What Do People Do?
Many churches in the United Kingdom have special services to celebrate Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem. It is also a time for many Christians to remember his suffering before his death and resurrection. Many churches provide congregation members with small crosses made from palm leaves at special Palm Sunday services. The priests or ministers bless these palms, which are also used to make the Ash Wednesday ashes for the next year. Many churches distribute palms in the shape of a cross.
Churches may also have a procession that involves people singing songs and waving palm leaves. Some churches give people pax cakes at the end of a service. Children’s activities on or around this event may include story telling about biblical events relating to Palm Sunday and crafts such as making palm crosses.
Palm Sunday is not a federal holiday in the United Kingdom. However, it is held on a Sunday, which is a non-school day and non-working day for many people living in the United Kingdom.
Background and Symbols
Many churches in the United Kingdom observe Palm Sunday as part of Holy Week. Palm Sunday in England was traditionally called Olive or Branch Sunday, as well as Sallow, Willow, Yew or Blossom Sunday. It was also called Sunday of the Willow Boughs. These names represent the local replacements for the traditional palm branches. Palms signify victory and joy, while pax cakes symbolize peace and goodwill.
About Palm Sunday in other countriesRead more about Palm Sunday.
Palm Sunday Observances
|Weekday||Date||Year||Name||Holiday Type||Where It is Observed|
|Sun||Mar 28||2010||Palm Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Apr 17||2011||Palm Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Apr 1||2012||Palm Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Mar 24||2013||Palm Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Apr 13||2014||Palm Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Mar 29||2015||Palm Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Mar 20||2016||Palm Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Apr 9||2017||Palm Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Mar 25||2018||Palm Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Apr 14||2019||Palm Sunday||Christian|
|Sun||Apr 5||2020||Palm Sunday||Christian|
Quick FactsPalm Sunday in the United Kingdom celebrates Jesus Christ’s entry into Jerusalem. It is also the Sunday before Easter Sunday.
Palm Sunday 2018Sunday, March 25, 2018
Palm Sunday 2019Sunday, April 14, 2019
Name in other languages
- Maundy Thursday – Thursday, March 29, 2018
- Good Friday – Friday, March 30, 2018
- Holy Saturday – Saturday, March 31, 2018
- Easter Sunday – Sunday, April 1, 2018
- Easter Monday – Monday, April 2, 2018
Other holidays in March 2019 in the United Kingdom
- St. David's Day – Friday, March 1, 2019
- Maha Shivaratri – Monday, March 4, 2019
- Carnival/Shrove Tuesday – Tuesday, March 5, 2019
- Carnival/Ash Wednesday – Wednesday, March 6, 2019
- St Patrick's Day – Sunday, March 17, 2019
- St Patrick's Day – Monday, March 18, 2019
- Holi – Thursday, March 21, 2019
- Mothering Sunday – Sunday, March 31, 2019
United Nation Holidays on March 25, 2019
- International Day of Remembrance of Slavery Victims and the Transatlantic Slave Trade
- International Day of Solidarity with Detained and Missing Staff Members