Oct 8, 2014 Total Lunar Eclipse
What this lunar eclipse looks like
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least some parts of the eclipse:
- East in Europe
- Much of Asia
- Much of North America
- Much of South America
- Indian Ocean
Total eclipse visible in:
Locations being able to see at least parts of the Total part.
- Chicago, Illinois, U.S.A.
- San Francisco, California, U.S.A.
- Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.
- Tokyo, Japan
- Guatemala, Guatemala
- Beijing, Beijing Municipality, China
- Hanoi, Vietnam
- Los Angeles, California, U.S.A.
- Havana, Cuba
- Mexico City, Federal District, Mexico
- Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
- Honolulu, Hawaii, U.S.A.
- Washington DC, District of Columbia, U.S.A.
- Manila, Philippines
- Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- New York, New York, U.S.A.
- Jakarta, Jakarta Special Capital Region, Indonesia
- Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Partial eclipse visible in:
When the eclipse happens worldwideLunar eclipses look approximately the same all over the world and happen at the same time.
The times displayed might be a minute or two off actual times.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in New York*||Visible in New York|
|Penumbral Eclipse begins||Oct 8 at 8:17 AM||Oct 8 at 4:17 AM||Yes|
|Partial Eclipse begins||Oct 8 at 9:18 AM||Oct 8 at 5:18 AM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse begins||Oct 8 at 10:27 AM||Oct 8 at 6:27 AM||Yes|
|Maximum Eclipse||Oct 8 at 10:55 AM||Oct 8 at 6:55 AM||Yes|
|Full Eclipse ends||Oct 8 at 11:22 AM||Oct 8 at 7:22 AM||No, below horizon|
|Partial Eclipse ends||Oct 8 at 12:32 PM||Oct 8 at 8:32 AM||No, below horizon|
|Penumbral Eclipse ends||Oct 8 at 1:32 PM||Oct 8 at 9:32 AM||No, below horizon|
* The Moon is below the horizon in New York some of the time, so that part of the eclipse is not visible.