Military Spouse Appreciation Day in the United States
The Friday before Mother's Day in the United States is observed as Military Spouse Appreciation Day. It is a day to acknowledge the significant others of military personnel who hold the fort down at home while their partners are protecting the country.
The first Military Spouse Appreciation Day was observed on May 23, 1984. It was established as a one-off observance through a proclamation by President Ronald Reagan. The day was later made into an annual observance by Secretary of Defense Casper Weinberger. In 1999, the U.S. Congress declared May as National Military Month to acknowledge the service of the men and women in the military.
Military Spouse Appreciation Day, which is also sometimes known as Military Spouse Day, aims to bring national attention to the role that military spouses play in maintaining the morale of the military and in supporting their significant others while they serve the country.
How to Celebrate?
- If you know of a military spouse, do something nice for them. Thank them for all that they do.
- Donate money or time to organizations that work with military spouses.
Did You Know…
...that the use of the word spouse to mean a partner in marriage dates back to 1200? The term comes from the Latin spondere meaning to bind oneself.
Military Spouse Appreciation Day Observances
|Weekday||Date||Year||Name||Holiday Type||Where It is Observed|
|Fri||May 9||2014||Military Spouse Appreciation Day||Observance|
|Fri||May 8||2015||Military Spouse Appreciation Day||Observance|
|Fri||May 6||2016||Military Spouse Appreciation Day||Observance|
|Fri||May 12||2017||Military Spouse Appreciation Day||Observance|
|Fri||May 11||2018||Military Spouse Appreciation Day||Observance|
|Fri||May 10||2019||Military Spouse Appreciation Day||Observance|
|Fri||May 8||2020||Military Spouse Appreciation Day||Observance|
Quick FactsAppreciate and thank all the military spouses and partners you know on Military Spouse Appreciation Day.
Military Spouse Appreciation Day 2018Friday, May 11, 2018
Military Spouse Appreciation Day 2019Friday, May 10, 2019
NameMilitary Spouse Appreciation Day
Other holidays in May 2018 in the United States
- Law Day – Tuesday, May 1, 2018
- Lag BaOmer – Thursday, May 3, 2018
- Kent State Shootings Remembrance – Friday, May 4, 2018
- Cinco de Mayo – Saturday, May 5, 2018
- National Nurses Day – Sunday, May 6, 2018
- Truman Day – Tuesday, May 8, 2018
- Ascension Day – Thursday, May 10, 2018
- Mother's Day – Sunday, May 13, 2018
- Peace Officers Memorial Day – Tuesday, May 15, 2018
- Ramadan starts – Wednesday, May 16, 2018
- National Defense Transportation Day – Friday, May 18, 2018
- Armed Forces Day – Saturday, May 19, 2018
- Pentecost – Sunday, May 20, 2018
- Whit Monday – Monday, May 21, 2018
- National Maritime Day – Tuesday, May 22, 2018
- Emergency Medical Services for Children Day – Wednesday, May 23, 2018
- National Missing Children's Day – Friday, May 25, 2018
- Trinity Sunday – Sunday, May 27, 2018
- Memorial Day – Monday, May 28, 2018
- Corpus Christi – Thursday, May 31, 2018