Your Health and Daylight Saving Time
DST can affect both your body clock and health. Studies show that there is an increase in both heart attacks and road accidents in the days after clocks are set forward one hour in spring.
Setting your clock forward one hour for Daylight Saving Time (DST) could mean losing an hour of sleep on the morning after the change.
Disrupts the Body Clock
Although people adjust differently to less sleep – some people feel the adverse effects more than others – there are some common issues that setting your clocks for DST, or summer time as many call it, may cause.
- It can feel a little harder to get out of bed on Monday morning after springing forward 1 hour on the Sunday morning.
- It may be difficult to get to bed at the normal time on Sunday night after the start of DST.
- Children may feel tired and cranky for several days after an hour's change in their bedtime routines.
Little by Little
There are some simple ways of making it easier to handle the hour change.
- Set your alarm to wake up a little earlier than usual on the Friday and Saturday before the DST switch. This makes it easier to get out of bed on Monday morning.
- Eat a healthy breakfast first thing. Food also tells your body it is the start of the day.
- Light, and especially sunlight, helps to adjust your body clock.
- Help your child adjust by changing bedtime to a little bit earlier the week before the time change.
More Heart Attacks
Being tired can decrease productivity, concentration, and general well-being. Several studies also link DST to increased risk of heart attacks, road accidents, and sleep problems:
- A Swedish study in 2008 found that the risk of having a heart attack increases in the first three days after switching to DST in the spring.
- Similarly, the risk decreases after setting the time back to standard time in the fall.
- Traffic accidents increase on the Monday following the start of DST. Tired drivers are the main reason.
In This Article
Daylight Saving Time – DST
- What is DST?
- One Hour Back or Forward?
- What is Standard Time?
- Savings or Saving?
- Pros and Cons of DST
- Your Health and DST
- Summer or Winter Time?
- History of DST
- History of DST in Europe
- DST Statistics