Maundy Thursday in Mexico
Celebrate Maundy Thursday
Feature movies, cartoons or documentaries related to biblical stories, particularly about Jesus’ life, are often shown on television during Holy Week. Many people travel on vacation during the Holy Week long weekend so tourist destinations, particularly along the coast of Mexico, can be quite busy.
What's Open or Closed?
Most banks and schools are closed in Mexico on Maundy Thursday.
About Maundy Thursday
Roman Catholicism is the predominant religion in Mexico, so Maundy Thursday is part of the Holy Week events across the country and within the church worldwide.
About Maundy Thursday in other countriesRead more about Maundy Thursday.
Maundy Thursday Observances
|Thu||Apr 1||2010||Maundy Thursday||Bank holiday|
|Thu||Apr 21||2011||Maundy Thursday||Bank holiday|
|Thu||Apr 5||2012||Maundy Thursday||Bank holiday|
|Thu||Mar 28||2013||Maundy Thursday||Bank holiday|
|Thu||Apr 17||2014||Maundy Thursday||Bank holiday|
|Thu||Apr 2||2015||Maundy Thursday||Bank holiday|
|Thu||Mar 24||2016||Maundy Thursday||Bank holiday|
|Thu||Apr 13||2017||Maundy Thursday||Bank holiday|
|Thu||Mar 29||2018||Maundy Thursday||Bank holiday|
|Thu||Apr 18||2019||Maundy Thursday||Bank holiday|
|Thu||Apr 9||2020||Maundy Thursday||Bank holiday|
Quick FactsMexicans observe Maundy Thursday as part of Holy Week (Semana Santa), which commemorates Jesus’ last moments of life, his death, and resurrection.
Maundy Thursday 2016Thursday, March 24, 2016
Maundy Thursday 2017Thursday, April 13, 2017
Name in other languages
- Easter Day – Sunday, March 27, 2016
- Holy Saturday – Saturday, March 26, 2016
- Maundy Thursday – Thursday, March 24, 2016
Other holidays in March 2017 in Mexico
- Ash Wednesday – Wednesday, March 1, 2017
- Oil Expropriation Day – Saturday, March 18, 2017
- Benito Juárez's Birthday Memorial – Monday, March 20, 2017
- Benito Juárez's Birthday Memorial – Tuesday, March 21, 2017
United Nation Holidays on March 24, 2017
- World Tuberculosis Day
- International Day for the Right to the Truth concerning Gross Human Rights Violations and for the Dignity of Victims