Nov 23, 1946 Partial Solar Eclipse
What the eclipse would look like near the maximum point
The animation shows approximately what the eclipse looks like in near the maximum point of the eclipse (weather permitting).
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least a partial eclipse:
- South/West North America
- North in South America
Partial eclipse visible in:
- Detroit, Michigan, U.S.A.
- Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Iqaluit, Nunavut Territory, Canada
- Pangnirtung, Nunavut Territory, Canada
- Qikiqtarjuaq, Nunavut Territory, Canada
- Chibougamau, Quebec, Canada
- Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- Kuujjuaq, Quebec, Canada
- Montreal, Quebec, Canada
- Washington DC, District of Columbia, U.S.A.
- Sisimiut, Greenland
- New York, New York, U.S.A.
- Boston, Massachusetts, U.S.A.
- Nuuk, Greenland
- Hopedale, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
- Happy Valley-Goose Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
- Qaqortoq, Greenland
- Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
- Blanc-Sablon, Quebec, Canada
- St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
When the eclipse happens worldwideThe eclipse starts at one location and ends at another. The times below are actual times (in UTC) when the eclipse occurs.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in New York*|
|First location to see partial eclipse begin||Nov 23 at 3:25 PM||Nov 23 at 10:25 AM|
|Maximum Eclipse||Nov 23 at 5:37 PM||Nov 23 at 12:37 PM|
|Last location to see partial Eclipse end||Nov 23 at 7:50 PM||Nov 23 at 2:50 PM|
* Local times shown do not refer to when the eclipse can be observed from New York. Instead, they indicate the times when the eclipse begins, is at its max, and ends, somewhere else on earth. The corresponding local times are useful if you want to view the eclipse via a live webcam.
Eclipses viewable in New York.
Eclipses during year 1946
- Jan 3, 1946 Partial Solar Eclipse
- May 30, 1946 Partial Solar Eclipse
- Jun 14, 1946 Total Lunar Eclipse
- Jun 29, 1946 Partial Solar Eclipse
- Nov 23, 1946 Partial Solar Eclipse (Currently shown)
- Dec 8, 1946 Total Lunar Eclipse
- Find Moonrise and Moonset for a location
- Moon Phase Calculator – Find moon phases for any year
- Find Sunrise and Sunset for a location
- Day and Night World Map – See which parts of the Earth are currently illuminated by the Sun
- Calendar for 2014
- Calendar Generator – Create a calendar for any year
- Duration between two dates – Calculates number of days