September 1, 2016 — Annular Solar Eclipse
The annular solar eclipse will be visible from Madagascar and locations in Central Africa. The Moon's shadow will also cross parts of the Atlantic and Indian Oceans.
For most viewers in Africa, the eclipse will be a partial solar eclipse.
The eclipse will begin at 06:13 UTC on September 1, 2016. The maximum point will take place at 09:01 UTC, and the annularity will last for 3 minutes and 6 seconds.
Where the Eclipse Was Seen
Regions that saw, at least, a partial eclipse: South in Asia, West in Australia, Much of Africa, Atlantic, Indian Ocean, Antarctica.
When the Eclipse Happened Worldwide
The eclipse started at one location and ended at another. The times below are actual times (in UTC) when the eclipse occurred.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Washington DC*|
|First location to see the partial eclipse begin||Sep 1 at 06:13||Sep 1 at 2:13 am|
|First location to see the full eclipse begin||Sep 1 at 07:17||Sep 1 at 3:17 am|
|Maximum Eclipse||Sep 1 at 09:01||Sep 1 at 5:01 am|
|Last location to see the full eclipse end||Sep 1 at 10:55||Sep 1 at 6:55 am|
|Last location to see the partial eclipse end||Sep 1 at 12:00||Sep 1 at 8:00 am|
* Local times shown do not refer to when the eclipse could be observed from Washington DC. Instead, they indicate the times when the eclipse began, was at its max, and ended, somewhere else on Earth. The corresponding local times are useful if you wanted to view the eclipse via a live webcam.
Eclipses visible in Washington DC.
Eclipses in Your City
Eclipses in 2016
- Mar 8 / Mar 9, 2016 – Total Solar Eclipse
- Mar 23, 2016 — Penumbral Lunar Eclipse
- May 9 / May 10, 2016 — Mercury Transit
- Aug 18, 2016 — Almost Lunar Eclipse
- Sep 1, 2016 – Annular Solar Eclipse (this page)
- Sep 16 / Sep 17, 2016 — Penumbral Lunar Eclipse
Eclipses in 2017
- Feb 10 / Feb 11, 2017 — Penumbral Lunar Eclipse
- Feb 26, 2017 – Annular Solar Eclipse
- Aug 7 / Aug 8, 2017 — Partial Lunar Eclipse
- Aug 21, 2017 – Total Solar Eclipse
Eclipses in 2018
- Jan 31, 2018 — Total Lunar Eclipse
- Feb 15, 2018 – Partial Solar Eclipse
- Jul 13, 2018 – Partial Solar Eclipse
- Jul 27 / Jul 28, 2018 — Total Lunar Eclipse
- Aug 11, 2018 – Partial Solar Eclipse