February 26, 2017 — Annular Solar Eclipse
The ring of fire, the main phase of this annular solar eclipse, was visible along a narrow path stretching from the southern tip of South America to Angola in Africa. In the surrounding areas, people saw a partial solar eclipse.
timeanddate.com Streamed This Event Live
For this eclipse, timeanddate.com sponsored a project with astrophysicist Graham Jones and teamed up with others to bring you a live stream with minute-by-minute commentary and background info about solar eclipses in 2017.
Where the Eclipse Was Seen
Regions that saw, at least, a partial eclipse: South/West Africa, Much of South America, Pacific, Atlantic, Indian Ocean, Antarctica.
When the Eclipse Happened Worldwide
The eclipse started at one location and ended at another. The times below are actual times (in UTC) when the eclipse occurred.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Washington DC*|
|First location to see the partial eclipse begin||Feb 26 at 12:10||Feb 26 at 7:10 am|
|First location to see the full eclipse begin||Feb 26 at 13:15||Feb 26 at 8:15 am|
|Maximum Eclipse||Feb 26 at 14:58||Feb 26 at 9:58 am|
|Last location to see the full eclipse end||Feb 26 at 16:31||Feb 26 at 11:31 am|
|Last location to see the partial eclipse end||Feb 26 at 17:35||Feb 26 at 12:35 pm|
* Local times shown do not refer to when the eclipse could be observed from Washington DC. Instead, they indicate the times when the eclipse began, was at its max, and ended, somewhere else on Earth. The corresponding local times are useful if you wanted to view the eclipse via a live webcam.
Eclipses visible in Washington DC.
Eclipses in Your City
Eclipses in 2017
- Feb 10 / Feb 11, 2017 — Penumbral Lunar Eclipse
- Feb 26, 2017 – Annular Solar Eclipse (this page)
- Aug 7 / Aug 8, 2017 — Partial Lunar Eclipse
- Aug 21, 2017 – Total Solar Eclipse
Eclipses in 2018
- Jan 31, 2018 — Total Lunar Eclipse
- Feb 15, 2018 – Partial Solar Eclipse
- Jul 13, 2018 – Partial Solar Eclipse
- Jul 27 / Jul 28, 2018 — Total Lunar Eclipse
- Aug 11, 2018 – Partial Solar Eclipse