August 21, 2017 — Total Solar Eclipse
In the surrounding areas, people will see a partial solar eclipse.
Where to See the Eclipse
Regions seeing, at least, a partial eclipse: West in Europe, North/East Asia, North/West Africa, North America, North/West South America, Pacific, Atlantic, Arctic.
Where & When Is the Maximum Point?
First Total Eclipse in USA Since 1979
This is the first total eclipse of the Sun visible from all 48 contiguous United States (excluding Alaska and Hawaii) since 1979. The last time a total eclipse was visible from coast to coast was in June 8, 1918.
When the Eclipse Happens Worldwide
The eclipse starts at one location and ends at another. The times below are actual times (in UTC) when the eclipse occurs.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in Washington DC*|
|First location to see the partial eclipse begin||Aug 21 at 15:46||Aug 21 at 11:46 AM|
|First location to see the full eclipse begin||Aug 21 at 16:48||Aug 21 at 12:48 PM|
|Maximum eclipse||Aug 21 at 18:21||Aug 21 at 2:21 PM|
|Last location to see the full eclipse end||Aug 21 at 20:02||Aug 21 at 4:02 PM|
|Last location to see the partial eclipse end||Aug 21 at 21:04||Aug 21 at 5:04 PM|
* Local times shown do not refer to when the eclipse can be observed from Washington DC. Instead, they indicate the times when the eclipse begins, is at its maximum, and ends, somewhere else on Earth. The corresponding local times are useful if you want to view the eclipse via a live webcam.
Eclipses visible in Washington DC.
Countdown until eclipse begins
Total Solar Eclipse
Aug 21, 2017 at 3:46 PM UTC
Eclipses in Your City
Eclipses during year 2016
- Mar 8 / Mar 9, 2016 – Total Solar Eclipse
- Mar 23, 2016 — Penumbral Lunar Eclipse
- May 9 / May 10, 2016 — Mercury Transit
- Aug 18, 2016 — Almost Lunar Eclipse
- Sep 1, 2016 – Annular Solar Eclipse
- Sep 16 / Sep 17, 2016 — Penumbral Lunar Eclipse
Eclipses during year 2017
- Feb 10 / Feb 11, 2017 — Penumbral Lunar Eclipse
- Feb 26, 2017 – Annular Solar Eclipse
- Aug 7 / Aug 8, 2017 — Partial Lunar Eclipse
- Aug 21, 2017 – Total Solar Eclipse (this page)