On Sunday, October 4, 2015, clocks will be set forward one hour from 02:00 (2 am) to 03:00 (3 am) local time as Daylight Saving Time (DST) starts in most of Australia.
Multiple Time Zones
Australia has multiple time zones. Some of them are half-hour and quarter hour time zones. Not all states and territories use DST.
Areas in Oz With DST
- Australian Capital Territory: Canberra
- New South Wales: Sydney
- South Australia: Adelaide
- Tasmania: Hobart
- Victoria: Melbourne
- Lord Howe Island – clocks move 30 minutes forward instead of 1 hour.
Areas Without DST
- Northern Territory: Darwin
- Queensland: Brisbane
- Western Australia: Perth
- Norfolk Island: Kingston (NOTE: Norfolk Island is changing time zone)
One Less Hour of Sleep
Aussies will lose one hour of night time going into DST this spring, but it will be returned to them in the fall, when DST ends on Sunday, April 3, 2016.
New Zealand starts DST one week before Australia, but the two neighboring countries end DST on the same day.
Norfolk Island Changes Time Zone
Current time in
Thursday, October 17, 2019