In other words, in locations observing Daylight Saving Time (DST) during part of the year, Mountain Time is not static but switches between MDT and MST.
Mountain Time UTC Offset
Mountain Standard Time is 7 hours behind Coordinated Universal Time (UTC).
Mountain Daylight Time is 6 hours behind UTC.
What Is Mountain Time?
The MT time zone is the least populated time zone in the US. It spans from northern Canada to Mexico near the equator.
What Does MT Time Zone Mean?
Unlike other time zone denominations, which have a fixed time, Mountain Time refers to a geographical area where the time changes twice yearly as Daylight Saving Time (DST) begins and ends. Mountain Standard Time is UTC-7, while Mountain Daylight Time is UTC-6.
Converting Mountain Time to Other US Time Zones
- Mountain Time (MT) is 2 hours behind Eastern Time (ET).
To convert MT to ET, you have to add two hours.
- Mountain Time (MT) is 1 hour behind Central Time (CT).
To convert MT to CT, you have to add one hour.
- Mountain Time (MT) is 1 hour ahead of Pacific Time (PT).
To convert MT to PT, you have to subtract one hour.
Where and when is Mountain Time observed?
- Arizona - Navajo Nation only
- Idaho - most of the state except western counties
Benewah, Bonner, Boundary, Clearwater, Kootenai, Latah, Lewis, Nez Perce, Shoshone and north part of Idaho
- Kansas - some western counties only
Greeley, Hamilton, Sherman and Wallace
- Nebraska - western counties
Arthur, Banner, Box Butte, Chase, Cheyenne, Dawes, Deuel, Dundy, Garden, Grant, Hooker, Keith, Kimball, Morrill, Perkins, Scotts Bluff, Sheridan, and Sioux and the western part of Cherry
- New Mexico
- North Dakota - South-Western parts
counties of Adams, Billings, Bowman, Golden Valley, Grant, Hettinger, Mercer, Slope and Stark, and southern parts of Dunn and McKenzie, most of Morton and Sioux counties
- Oregon - parts of Malheur county only
- South Dakota - western counties
Bennett, Butte, Corson, Custer, Dewey, Fall River, Haakon, Harding, Jackson, Lawrence, Meade, Pennington, Perkins, Shannon, and Ziebach, and the western parts of Stanley
- Texas - a few counties in west
El Paso and Hudspeth and part of Culberson
- British Columbia - a few eastern communities
Cranbrook, Golden, Invermere
- Northwest Territories
- Nunavut - Kugluktuk, Cambridge Bay only (Other parts use EST/EDT or EST only)
- Saskatchewan - only Lloydminster
- Baja California Sur
MST all year round
Some locations, such as the ones below don't switch and are in MST all year long.