May 8 - May 9, 1948 Total Solar Eclipse
What the eclipse would look like near the maximum point
The animation shows approximately what the eclipse looks like in near the maximum point of the eclipse (weather permitting).
Click the 'play' button to view the animation. The pause button can also be used to temporarily suspend the animation.
Where to see the eclipse
Continents seeing at least a partial eclipse:
- East in Europe
- Much of Asia
- North/West North America
- Indian Ocean
Partial eclipse visible in:
- Sri Jayawardenapura Kotte, Sri Lanka
- Male, Maldives
- Bangkok, Thailand
- Yangon, Myanmar
- Khon Kaen, Thailand
- Vientiane, Laos
- Hanoi, Vietnam
- Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Taipei, Taiwan
- Suzhou, Jiangsu, China
- Shanghai, Shanghai Municipality, China
- Beijing, Beijing Municipality, China
- Incheon, South Korea
- Seoul, South Korea
- Pyongyang, North Korea
- Vladivostok, Russia
- Tokyo, Japan
- Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, Russia
- Adak, Alaska, U.S.A.
- Unalaska, Alaska, U.S.A.
When the eclipse happens worldwideThe eclipse starts at one location and ends at another. The times below are actual times (in UTC) when the eclipse occurs.
|Event||UTC Time||Time in New York*|
|First location to see partial eclipse begin||May 8 at 11:41 PM||May 8 at 7:41 PM|
|First location to see full Eclipse begin||May 9 at 12:45 AM||May 8 at 8:45 PM|
|Maximum Eclipse||May 9 at 2:31 AM||May 8 at 10:31 PM|
|Last location to see full Eclipse end||May 9 at 4:07 AM||May 9 at 12:07 AM|
|Last location to see partial Eclipse end||May 9 at 5:12 AM||May 9 at 1:12 AM|
* Local times shown do not refer to when the eclipse can be observed from New York. Instead, they indicate the times when the eclipse begins, is at its max, and ends, somewhere else on earth. The corresponding local times are useful if you want to view the eclipse via a live webcam.
Eclipses viewable in New York.
Eclipses during year 1948
- Apr 23, 1948 Penumbral Lunar Eclipse
- May 8 - May 9, 1948 Total Solar Eclipse (Currently shown)
- Oct 18, 1948 Penumbral Lunar Eclipse
- Nov 1, 1948 Total Solar Eclipse
- Find Moonrise and Moonset for a location
- Moon Phase Calculator – Find moon phases for any year
- Find Sunrise and Sunset for a location
- Day and Night World Map – See which parts of the Earth are currently illuminated by the Sun
- Calendar for 2014
- Calendar Generator – Create a calendar for any year
- Duration between two dates – Calculates number of days