May5 Fun Holiday – Square Root Day
Square Root Day is celebrated on a day where the first two digits in the date are the square root of the last two digits. Only date formats that have the month and date first and the last two digits of the year last (mm/dd/yy, m/d/yy, dd/mm/yy or d/m/yy) can have Square Root Days.
Ron Gordon, a high school teacher in the State of California, United States is credited as the creator of this unofficial holiday. The first Square Root Day ever was celebrated on September 9, 1981 (09/09/81).
Opposite to Squaring
An important mathematical concept, the square root of a number (x) is another number (y) that, when multiplied by itself returns the first number (x). In other words, the square root of x is y, because y X y or y² is x.
To make it clearer, let's take an actual number example: the square root of 25 is 5, because when we multiply 5 by itself (5 X 5) or square it (5²), we get 25.
Only 9 dates every century qualify to be a Square Root Day. The first day of the 21st century, January 1, 2001 (01/01/01) was a Square Root Day. Other past and future Square Root Days in this century are:
- February 2, 2004 (02/02/04): 2 X 2 or 2² = 4
- March 3, 2009 (03/03/09): 3 X 3 or 3² = 9
- April 4, 2016 (04/04/16): 4 X 4 or 4² = 16
- May 5, 2025 (05/05/25): 5 X 5 or 5² = 25
- June 6, 2036 (06/06/36): 6 X 6 or 6² = 36
- July 7, 2049 (07/07/49): 7 X 7 or 7² = 49
- August 8, 2064 (08/08/64): 8 X 8 or 8² = 64
- September 9, 2081 (09/09/81): 9 X 9 or 9² = 81
Other Mathematical Holidays
You don't have to wait for Square Root Day to celebrate a unique mathematical holiday. There are several other mathematical holidays throughout the year that honor mathematicians and their work. Some of these include Pythagorean Theorem Day, e-Day, Pi Day, Tau Day, Yellow Pig Day, Pi Approximation Day, and Fibonacci Day.
How to Celebrate?
- Learn more about the real-life and mathematical applications of square root.
- Eat square shaped food, made specifically from root vegetables the whole day. May we recommend square sweet potato fries, square potato gratin, and a square carrot cake.
- Spend the day learning about other special date patterns. Use our Date Pattern Calculator to find out when's the next Sequential or Palindrome Day.
Did You Know...
...that the symbol for square root (√) is called the radix or the radical sign and was first used in print in 1525?
Square Root Day Observances
|Fun Holiday: Square Root Day Observances|
|2025||Mon||May 5||Square Root Day|